Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the manual, it's possible to jump start the hybrid normally, which is to say from another 12V vehicle electric system, through a special jump-starting attachment point. But the starter motor for the ICE engine runs off the traction battery, somewhere near 250V. So how does the jump-starting input work? The manual states that you must attach the jumper cables for several minutes before attempting to start the hybrid...is there some sort of boost converter that changes the 12V from the jump input to 250V to charge the traction battery so it can start the engine?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
1st: DON'T DO IT, these parts cost big $$
It has nothing to do with cranking the ICE. All the system needs is a few amps to boot the computer.If you did something dumb and drained the 12v you just need enough juice to do that. But if you just wait for a while after turning everything off, it might start itself.
In an emergency you can use those jump points but make sure the other car is off. Never let anyone who doesn't understand hybrids do this for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. It also sounds like one of those little jump starter gizmos would do the trick, if all you need is a quick boost to get the computer up, so I'm going to keep mine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What you're "jumping" is the 12VDC system, not the high voltage traction battery. This just powers the computer and controllers, which allows the hybrid system to start. If the traction battery drained and the hybrid system could not start, that would be VERY BAD! There's a special charger supplied by Toyota to authorized servicers and special procedures that allow for the charging of the traction battery.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That makes sense. It also sounds like one of those little jump starter gizmos would do the trick, if all you need is a quick boost to get the computer up, so I'm going to keep mine.
Yes, a small "jump pack" is more than adequate. I've read that it can be done with 8 D-cells.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What you're "jumping" is the 12VDC system, not the high voltage traction battery. This just powers the computer and controllers, which allows the hybrid system to start. If the traction battery drained and the hybrid system could not start, that would be VERY BAD! There's a special charger supplied by Toyota to authorized servicers and special procedures that allow for the charging of the traction battery.
How does one drain the traction battery? This way I know how not to completely drain it.

Is it by leaving the car unused for months on end?

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Jump Starting Procedure for RAV4 Hybrid from Owner' Manual:

RAV4-HV_OM_OM42A56U_(U)

8-2. Steps to take in an emergency

If the 12-volt battery is discharged

If you have a set of jumper (or booster) cables and a second vehicle with a 12-volt battery, you can jump start your vehicle by following the steps below.

Open the hood (P. 473) and fuse box cover.

Open the exclusive jump start-ing terminal cover.

The following procedures may be used to start the hybrid sys-tem if the vehicle's 12-volt battery is discharged. You can also call your Toyota dealer or a qualified repair shop.

1 Open the hood (P. 473) and fuse box cover.

2 Open the exclusive jump start-ing terminal cover.

3 Connect the jumper cables according to the following procedure:

Connect a positive jumper cable clamp to the exclusive jump starting terminal on your vehicle.

Connect the clamp on the other end of the positive cable to the positive (+) battery terminal on the second vehicle.

Connect a negative cable clamp to the negative (-) battery termi-nal on the second vehicle.

Connect the clamp at the other end of the negative cable to a solid, stationary, unpainted metallic point away from the exclusive jump starting terminal and any moving parts, as shown in the illustration.

Start the engine of the second vehicle. Increase the engine speed slightly and maintain at that level for approximately 5 minutes to recharge the 12-volt battery of your vehicle.

Open and close any of the doors of your vehicle with the power switch off.

Make sure the “READY” indicator comes on. If the indicator light does not come on, contact your Toyota dealer.

Once the hybrid system has started, remove the jumper cables in the exact reverse order from which they were connected.

Close the exclusive jump starting terminal cover, and reinstall the fuse box cover to its original position.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jump Starting Procedure for RAV4 Hybrid from Owner' Manual:

RAV4-HV_OM_OM42A56U_(U)

8-2. Steps to take in an emergency

If the 12-volt battery is discharged

If you have a set of jumper (or booster) cables and a second vehicle with a 12-volt battery, you can jump start your vehicle by following the steps below.

Open the hood (P. 473) and fuse box cover.

Open the exclusive jump start-ing terminal cover.

The following procedures may be used to start the hybrid sys-tem if the vehicle's 12-volt battery is discharged. You can also call your Toyota dealer or a qualified repair shop.

1 Open the hood (P. 473) and fuse box cover.

2 Open the exclusive jump start-ing terminal cover.

3 Connect the jumper cables according to the following procedure:

Connect a positive jumper cable clamp to the exclusive jump starting terminal on your vehicle.

Connect the clamp on the other end of the positive cable to the positive (+) battery terminal on the second vehicle.

Connect a negative cable clamp to the negative (-) battery termi-nal on the second vehicle.

Connect the clamp at the other end of the negative cable to a solid, stationary, unpainted metallic point away from the exclusive jump starting terminal and any moving parts, as shown in the illustration.

Start the engine of the second vehicle. Increase the engine speed slightly and maintain at that level for approximately 5 minutes to recharge the 12-volt battery of your vehicle.

Open and close any of the doors of your vehicle with the power switch off.

Make sure the “READY” indicator comes on. If the indicator light does not come on, contact your Toyota dealer.

Once the hybrid system has started, remove the jumper cables in the exact reverse order from which they were connected.

Close the exclusive jump starting terminal cover, and reinstall the fuse box cover to its original position.

When installing, first hook the fuse box cover onto the two rear tabs. Once the hybrid system starts, have the vehicle inspected at your Toyota dealer as soon as possible.

Maintain the engine speed of the second vehicle and start the hybrid system of your vehicle by turning the power switch to ON mode.

Hope I never have to do it. Looks like the last sentence should be moved to after the sentence dealing with the "READY" indicator.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How does one drain the traction battery? This way I know how not to completely drain it.

The only ways the traction battery would be depleted is either the battery is defective or you left the car to sit for a few months.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I hope I never have to do this, but after reading the procedure, I believe I can do it without too much difficulty. My 2009 Prius was more of a challenge.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If the aux battery is dead in my '16 hybrid,
would it be possible to remove the aux battery from the cargo area
and charge it using jumper cables from another car?
Say let it charge for 5-10 minutes to hold enough charge and re-install it
to power up the whole system?

·
Registered
846 Posts
If the aux battery is dead in my '16 hybrid,
would it be possible to remove the aux battery from the cargo area
and charge it using jumper cables from another car?
Say let it charge for 5-10 minutes to hold enough charge and re-install it
to power up the whole system?
Would it be easier to leave it where it is and get one of those newer Li-on jump starter or am I missing something critical with the hybrid (which we also own)?

·
Registered
67 Posts

Yes, you should at the very least unhook the 12v battery if you plan on storing the vehicle.

There is software that won't allow the traction battery to go below 20% or above 80% charge level. This reduces strain on the traction battery for longer life. The traction battery trickle charges the 12v starter battery, so if you should drain the starter battery, it's best to put a slow and low charge on it or run the vehicle for at least an hour after jumping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts