Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Junked 96-97 at my local yard

6K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  eodgator 
#1 · (Edited)
So saw a 96-97 junked at my local yard.
I always wanted this RAV4 in blue but never could find one in stick shift. Don't get me wrong I love my silver RAV but blue is my weakness.

Not sure why this was there. There was no body damage. There was a sign that the engine had 35k on it. Odometer had 269k. Whyis it in the junkyard??

I LOVE the RAV4 writing on the side doors. The white strip and the RAV4 logo on the door. That was the reason I wanted a 96-97 and also the unique 3 spoke wheels. ... again never found one.

So I asked this guy if I could have the side trim. He quoted me 400 dollars.

Now even if I want to do it, i figured out that they won't fit my 1998 because the wheel well trim is part of the door trim on the 98 plus and this is separate.

Ugh!!!

#2 ·
Poor thing, wonder if its a rust belt car with a failing K-Frame or somthing?

I would love a set of trim like that for Bluey, but as you pointed out, most of its for the 1994-1997 style :(

#3 ·
Did Australia get a lot of first generations?

I love them and was very sad to see this one. It had no rust. The paint was perfect. I don't understand why it was there.

It is hard to find first generations these days. Heck I am almost the only one posting on the 4.1 side of this forum for months now and basically just talking to myself. LMAO !! There are very few people with 4.1.

#4 ·
Wow that is expensive! How much do they want for the front wheel flares? Those should fill the 2-door, right?

#5 ·
We got plenty of first gen RAV's, I still see loads around. being RHD we got them from 1994 onwards, Toyota established LHD production later on (I guess they were not sure if the model would even take off).
Sadly the 4.1 forum is a bit quiet these days, not like in the late 90's and early 2000's (Yes I was into RAV's back then even if I was too young to drive)

#6 · (Edited)
Is the RAV4 used for exploring quiet a bit? I have driven it all over the USA.
Here in USA if you don't have a souped up hardcore 4x4, the 4x4 community really looks down on you but I don't care. I have a FJ Cruiser also but I enjoy my RAV4 just as much and it is very capable. Way more than many think.

I would love to explore the Australian outback one day !!! It is my dream. Too bad no road leads there and I will have to ship my car.

Until then .. see my front plate. Same plate is on the FJ Cruiser also.

#7 ·
NT plates!, nice!, I have a few US plates around myself, can't use them on the road going cars tho :(

People do use them for touring thats for sure, just have to be careful of going right out bush, pick the toughest tyres you can, I have heard of people having to be rescued because their mini SUV tires got ripped up by the terrain. but a RAV with LT tyres and the usual supply of water, fuel and food, will get you far!.

#9 ·
The 2dr ones are very cute!, I need to sell my 2dr soft top since I have too many cars and rarely drive it, but I still love it and its hard to part company :p.
We got 2dr models from 1994 right through to 2000, and even got 2dr second gen models right up until the 3rd gen came out.

I need to do some more photos of Betty and Bluey together

#10 ·
Question .....

Those silver bars at the bottom of the doors. Can that fit a 1998? What is its purpose? It is really not a step. I love it.

IF yes, I will buy it from this guy.

#11 ·
I can't believe you never noticed those bars before :). They were a factory option/accessory, their purpose was 100% cosmetic. Though I suppose they could protect the body from scrapping on the rocks when hardcore off-roading, but they will be destroyed because they pretty weak aluminum.

I installed a set on my old 1996 Rav4 and it used holes in the underbelly, I see no reason why they would wouldn't fit on '98 car.

There is also a matching rear bumper/tow hitch receiver.

#12 ·
I can't believe it either cuz I am an OEM accessory junkie !!
I will visit the junkyard in 30 minutes and see if I can get a quote.
How much should I pay for them?
They are clean !

#13 ·
The less the better? :) I would offer $50 and see where it goes, I wouldn't pay more than $100. Lets put it this way, you should be able find them for under $100, they are fairly common.

Can you please ask them about front wheel flares?

#14 ·
Hi all,
Here I am sitting in my house in "Sunny" UK ( wish it was sunny!) wondering what to do with my gorgeous 1998(we call them 3 door because we count the rear as a door) Rav4.1 in brilliant Red.
Only trouble is, it"s a manual gearbox and due to an accident I had, I now need an automatic. So if anyone has a 3 door automatic they want to swap for a 3 door manual let me know.
Cheers all
Dave

#15 ·
The sad:( blue junk car is a 1997. My CUTE 1997 2 door (or 3, depending on country of origin...) has those side rails. They are strictly cosmetic and don't protect much of anything except the view of the underneath of the car. They are brushed aluminum (AL-u-MIN-ium in GB) and, while fragile is not the right word, are not made to take much of a beating. They usually come with a similar back "bumper"/trailer hitch which mine also came with. I'm sure, since the body styles are similar, they will fit a '98. I also have the fender flairs and come with a fitting that goes behind the finder that the flair attaches to with flat screws into poly taps. I like them and, again, will probably also fit the '98.

#17 ·
One of my math profs back at community college has a gorgeous 2-door RAV4 that looks just like Aussie's Betty. I think I recall her saying that she adores it so much that she'll probably never sell it. Her cute little 1st Gen RAV4 is what convinced me to get my cute (but not-so-little) 3rd Gen RAV4. I wish Toyota still made the 1st Gen RAV4s.

#20 ·
Could have been bought at auction as scrap, or the transmission went out? its not unsurprising to see 90's cars get snapped up at clearance auctions for next to nothing by recyclers who know they can make 10X the money parting them out. I bought a 2001 Ford Escape V6 for 1200, could have quadrupled the money, or more, if I had time to part it.

#19 ·
They are highly lovable, Betty is my loaner car at the moment, everyone enjoys the ride, just not the extra noise from the soft top, but meh Its what you get with a ragtop :p

#29 ·
I picked up my 99 4 door, 4x4 5 speed in 2013, it was laid up for a year because of health reasons, and I've been working hard on getting her back on the road. In 2013 upgraded the rims and tires, put an OME lift kit on, fixed some suspension issues. Recently did almost a complete brake job, installed a water pump/timing belt kit, replaced the oil pump, all the belts, and all but the tranny cooling lines. Guess which lines broke when I took it on a shake down drive, yep and blew the tranny. Got a used replacement that I'm getting ready to install in a few days. Got a lot of work to do on many upgrades and will be running threads on each upgrade.

Attachments

#30 ·
Your fender flares are of 96 97 models but your lights are of 98 plus. Did you change them yourself?
Nice looking ride though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.