Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appointment later in the week to get a oil change at the local dealership and thought I'd save a couple of bucks on the normal 50% filter markups. I ordered the engine and cabin air filters, got them today and found this inside the cabin air filter area:

Yeah... so - someone built a wonderful house inside and on top of the squirrel fan. Here's the filter, also known as a King Sized Mouse Bed:

And both the bed and the bedding for size comparison:

The strange part is this: I had not noticed any smell, loss of A/C or heat flow out of the system. I can only assume that the varmint got in from the passenger side cowling area near the hood hinge :shrug:

I hope I don't get hantavirus from that mess.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think I would give any wiring in the area a good inspection. These varmints are infamous for chewing off wire insulation and causing all kinds of weird electrical problems.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For those of you that have had this happen - I wonder if this is the way in?

I've read all the mice entry and nesting threads, but don't quite understand where I might put a screen.

It's pretty hard to tell, as there are no tell tale signs of entry, and this is the only way I can think of to get to the top of the filter from outside.

I did check for wire insulation debris, and I see none under the dash or on the outside of the firewall. Also, I find it kind of interesting that the little bugger did his/her very best to tuck tissue into the crevices of the filter from end to end in an attempt to block the drafty conditions in the air box.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RAV4 is always garaged. In my work parking lot, I'm out in the open and in the middle of a vast asphalt jungle.

This thing really wanted a nice warm spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts