Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
arrgggg. Had a car full of people and was dropping off the youngest at pre school. Get in the car back out of my spot in a heavily wooded parking lot. Turning and smacked a tree going less than 5 mph. Crunched the bumper and the rear corner of the body. F$%K!!!!

Pulled out of that parking space 100s of times. Always thought: "man those trees are close, one of these times...". Not paying attention, talking with the other occupants of the car.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
arrgggg. Had a car full of people and was dropping off the youngest at pre school. Get in the car back out of my spot in a heavily wooded parking lot. Turning and smacked a tree going less than 5 mph. Crunched the bumper and the rear corner of the body. F$%K!!!!

Pulled out of that parking space 100s of times. Always thought: "man those trees are close, one of these times...". Not paying attention, talking with the other occupants of the car.
BAD tree! Bad, bad!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Son backed into a parking lot, to grab a cup of coffee.
- hit a Mercedes sedan lightly backing up, with his Lexus SUV (with rear camera)
- and put his cell phone number, on guys windshield
He needed a new bumper installed & painted / Mercedes needed a quarter repainted.
But how many times is someone we know, the victim here / while the bad driver, just drives off.

While Son is an extremely good drives, and never get into fender benders:
A lousy insurance claim, all because he had the radio blasting / and good tunes playing.
- and took a break, in paying attention @ low speed
- so focus, went out the window...for a moment
Now before he shifts, in reverse / the radio is turned off first.

MrPulldown
Sorry to hear the bumper is damaged / suspect the car load of people, added to the distraction.
- if not ripped / but dented
- sometimes plastic bumpers can be heated up with a electric paint gun & popped out

Many avoidable accidents don't happen at 50 mph / they happen at 2-5 mph.
- that is when extra Focus, has to take place

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
When I worked for a Bell System company, they had a strict backing policy for company vehicles. When we went on a job, we had to back into the parking space, or else park parallel on the street. That way, when we are leaving to go on our next job, we would pull straight out without backing. Their research showed most people are more alert when arriving and tend to be distracted when leaving. I still follow this policy with my personal vehicle. Next time you see an AT&T telephone truck, notice how he/she's parked. They still rely on this policy today.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts

Ouch! - financially (maybe your insurance will cover at least part of the cost), but also for one's own driving pride! Did that with my pickup truck years ago in Minnesota - backed into a fire hydrant, bent the Barden bumper. Farmer friend with a hydraulic press tried to straighten it with limited success. He also noted that it was fortunate that I didn't break off the hydrant since that would have emptied the town's large elevated water tank . . . :surprise

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the words Gents. I feel stupid. I consider myself a good drive and generally am very aware of my surroundings.

The bumper looks salvageable. Pop it out and repaint. The rear quarter panel right below the light is dented and will need body work. The tail light has a few light scratches that I will not repair. Then I munched the corner of the tailgate when I opened it to let the dog out.

The car just came out of the body shop for a bunch of small parking lot dents incurred by the wife this last fall. Wife's car so she was in the car when it happened. She basically laughed at me and said, "I guess I now have a lifetime pass of you not criticizing me when I bump into things."

I often back into parking spots. Not for the accident avoidance, but for the ease of departure. A good reason to consider in the future. Might not work for the the preschool lot as it is so busy and the traffic flow is not conducive for backing maneuvers upon entry.

Ahhh.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
When I worked for a Bell System company, they had a strict backing policy for company vehicles. When we went on a job, we had to back into the parking space, or else park parallel on the street. That way, when we are leaving to go on our next job, we would pull straight out without backing. Their research showed most people are more alert when arriving and tend to be distracted when leaving. I still follow this policy with my personal vehicle. Next time you see an AT&T telephone truck, notice how he/she's parked. They still rely on this policy today.
Old New York Telephone guy here. They had safety regs for everything, didn't they!

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I backed into the same tree twice when visiting Italy!

Needed to do a 3-point turn to leave a restaurant parking lot. I could not see the tree due to the reflection of a map on the rear glass.
When the car refused to move, I pressed harder on the gas.
Everyone on the restaurant patio , and my wife in the front passenger seat, thought I was nuts or something :(

Luckily no damage on the bumper.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I always drive in to park. Reason was that front damage repair will be more expensive than rear damage should another car lose control. Also easier to load from a shopping cart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Living on a street that can be busy & in the inside middle of a curve on a slight hill, I always back into my driveway. It is easier to back into an empty space. :wink

Even pulling out going forward, I may not see the speeders immediately but can spot them earlier and stop quickly than if I were backing out.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts

Yeah - we back into our driveway and garage as well. Much safer to head out onto the road, with its traffic and often distracted drivers. And I've almost been clobbered when on my motorcycle a couple of times by people backing out of their garages and onto the road.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did the exact same thing with our RAV4 a few years ago. It was a large diameter tree that had burned down to about 3-4' in height and I didn't see it. Part of the reason I didn't see it was because of the spare tire on the hatch. It was at that point I decided I would never again buy a vehicle with a spare on the back.
Crushed the bumper, tail light and minor dents in the quarter panel.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I did the exact same thing with our RAV4 a few years ago. It was a large diameter tree that had burned down to about 3-4' in height and I didn't see it. Part of the reason I didn't see it was because of the spare tire on the hatch. It was at that point I decided I would never again buy a vehicle with a spare on the back.
Crushed the bumper, tail light and minor dents in the quarter panel.
Or "It was at that point that I decided to always get a vehicle with a rear view camera" :)
Same thing almost happened to me in a HomeDepot lot. One of their lamp posts broke and I parked with the front facing the 3 foot concrete bottom portion.
At the last second, I remembered to not drive through it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Hmm, I guess I don't see the visual impairment from the spare tire as amounting to much. At it's highest point, it is only 4-inches above the glass, and being round, I can see about a 1.5-ft on each side of it. Also, the height of the non-glass part of the rear door is 4-ft, so your 3-4' tall tree stump hazard would likely be blocked by the solid part of the door anyway, not the spare.

All vehicles have a blind spot of some sort to the rear. I have an after-market rear camera which takes care of that, and I think most cars have them now as standard. But even the best view or gear can be negated by distractions, as indicated by the OP.

Reactions: DVS

·
Registered
254 Posts
So sorry to hear about that. My '07 has a similar battle scar from the previous owner, driver's side rear bumper cover is cracked. Rear visibility on these RAVs isn't really the greatest. Good luck with the repair!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Taking it in for an estimate on friday. I am going to ask for the cheap case out of pocket version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry about the tree jumping in front of you.
I always try to back in. In parking lots i always park way out in the lot.
Years ago myself, my brother, and another friend of ours was camping\backpacking down in red river gorge. My brother was backing up, Barry and i were sitting on the tailgate. Brother backs up trying to get turned around. Had to get a little speed to back up a hill. All of a sudden bam. Barry sitting on the tailgate, a tree comes right between his legs, the tailgate poofed up like a ballon. Of course this was over 25 years ago, and partying was a way of life. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Or "It was at that point that I decided to always get a vehicle with a rear view camera" :)
Same thing almost happened to me in a HomeDepot lot. One of their lamp posts broke and I parked with the front facing the 3 foot concrete bottom portion.
At the last second, I remembered to not drive through it.
You are correct. Both of my newer vehicles have rear cameras. I used to think I didn't need or want one, but now that I have them I really like them and won't go without it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I pulled the rear bumper off. All the push to lock connectors where gone. Either blew out or the tab on the bumper tore. Only the bolts/screw in the wheel well were in place. THe right/impact side lip that screws to the well tore. Looking at getting a pre painted bumper cover. No damage to the metal bumper beneath.

Question on the bumper protector. Read that heat is required to release this part. Is is really a separate part. Looks like it and the bumper is one.

Starter tearing into the interior. Having some trouble with the lower center panel that locks to the side. Everything I read says that it is just pop pins. But can't seem to pop it. It covers the lower corner of the side panel which needs a push lock connector removed.

Funny side story on back up cameras. Went 4 wheeling 2 weekends ago with a buddy in his Tacoma. Late in the day looking for camp, he backs into a tree. Leaves a small dent in his tailgate. A back up camera does not do any good unless you are looking at it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts