Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had I looked at the forum first I never would have bought this car. From the sound of things here I'm doomed to water pump failure, excessive oil consumption, and other dreaded mecanical events. Planning to sell as soon as my son enlists in the service in three months. Hope it lasts that long!

What percentage of Rav's get past 130K without hitting a big ticket item? Thanks for any responses.

Buyer Remorse

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not all the 2.4 motors burn excessive oil and I'm pretty sure those that do Toyota is fixing for free...read up on it...and the water pump issues are mostly on the v6 I believe...these things will go well over 200k with proper maintenance...

·
Registered
123 Posts
you'll be fine. I'm on my second water pump and have 160,000kms. No need to replace it yet as per dealer. Also, no oil consumption issues either. Though, my oil line did get replaced with the steel one at one point.

So far my only maintenance items have been regular oil changes, brake pads, differential fluid change, new alternator (due to a failing bearing in there). Now soon to be some spark plugs. But for you, even if you needed new spark plugs, the 4 banger is easy to change. Currently my oil pan is "sweating" a bit but not enough to be concerned about oil loss at all. Next oil change, I'll just drop the pan, clean it out and put in a new gasket. Then it'll be good to go for a long while.

I'd say enjoy it while you have it. No causes for concerns.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
After the 3 months you may change your mind but at this time your are panicking. On the other hand if you feel completely sure and can't take it anymore then sell it for a piece of mind. Sometimes you can sell and not lose any money if the price you paid was low enough.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
as others have said, water pump problems where only on the 2006-2008 V6, and the oil consumption is now covered by Toyota, the only big ticket item is the exhaust systems that can be costly to replace the whole thing since that cat converter is one piece with the exhaust

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't worry ... my 2008 RAV4 (4-cyl) is at 240,000km (~150,000 miles)
Waiting for Toyota Canada to send me notice to bring car in to fix the excessive oil consumption.

Other than that, and mainly wear & tear maintenance, I don't have any other issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
bought my 2007 base 4cyl AWD last year at 102K
no oil burning, replaced the front struts, motor mounts, and brake pads.
oh and the drivers side window regulator.

aftermarket Jensen VX7020,
it has 118K on it now. kinda like it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Had I looked at the forum first I never would have bought this car. From the sound of things here I'm doomed to water pump failure, excessive oil consumption, and other dreaded mecanical events. Planning to sell as soon as my son enlists in the service in three months. Hope it lasts that long!

What percentage of Rav's get past 130K without hitting a big ticket item? Thanks for any responses.
For the oil burning issue:
In the USA, your 2007 RAV is covered under Primary Extended warranty until Oct 31, 2016, regardles of miles. After that, the Secondary Coverage is in effect which covers you for 10 years from first date the car went in service or 150K-mile whichever comes first. Since you are at 130K, you have some wiggle room.

And thus have some time to evaluate if you have an oil burner. Rack up some miles and check the dipstick often to determine your burn rate. If you see a rapid drop per tank of gas, have it tested at the dealer. If little or no oil burning, you might have a keeper, as the 2007 RAV 4-cyl overall is rated in most reports (like Consumer Reports) as very reliable. Drive long and prosper.

As for percentage of oil burners, we will never know. Toyota would never reveal that. Lucky that you are in USA and not Canada, as most report that Canadian dealers don't seem to be able to come up with the parts (pistons, ring kit) to do the fix. USA dealers seem to be more forthcoming, but do choose the shop carefully. Some are better than others, as in more willing and capable than others to do the fix if you qualify with an excessive burn rate. You should know in a thousand miles or so what the engine is doing if you monitor it, it would drop from the top notch on the dip stick to the bottom mark (or thereabouts) in roughly 1K-miles to qualify.

Let us know how it goes for you, even if it is a keeper.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Turned over 132k miles last week on my 2010 Rav4.

No major problems other than having to dry out and seal my vapor canister (myself).

·
Super Moderator
11,141 Posts
you'll be fine. I'm on my second water pump and have 160,000kms. No need to replace it yet as per dealer. Also, no oil consumption issues either. Though, my oil line did get replaced with the steel one at one point.

So far my only maintenance items have been regular oil changes, brake pads, differential fluid change, new alternator (due to a failing bearing in there). Now soon to be some spark plugs. But for you, even if you needed new spark plugs, the 4 banger is easy to change. Currently my oil pan is "sweating" a bit but not enough to be concerned about oil loss at all. Next oil change, I'll just drop the pan, clean it out and put in a new gasket. Then it'll be good to go for a long while.

I'd say enjoy it while you have it. No causes for concerns.
You don't have the same engine so there is indeed cause for concern. The OP has the 2.4l four banger which is a known oil burner and has no water pump problems like your V-6. Apples and coconuts comparison.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes...different engine with different issues but both still require oil changes, brake pads, spark plugs, coils, etc. I've listed off the items as the OP was concerned about other mechanical issues. Just basic maintenance. If his engine has been fine and is not consuming oil then there is no need for concern.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I had a 120K miles on my former I4 2006 Base before I sold it three years ago to upgrade to a 2009 V6. First off... the 2006 was GREAT with none of the issues other owners go on about . My RAV had only one major repair (just before I sold it to comply with regulations) and that repair was some kind of arm and rubber cupping something that had just worn out naturally over time. My RAV purred like a kitten - drove like new - and when the seller did a test drive he was very impressed. Older RAVs are not all doom and gloom folks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts