Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2015 RAV4 XLE. Love everything about it, except the sound. First off, the sounds maxes out at a volume that isn't all that loud. Also the sound in general is typically swallowed up by the bass and the vocals sound faint. I've tried adjusting settings, but still no luck. In a word, I guess the sound is just uninspiring altogether. Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this? All I need is sound that will be louder and clearer with a little more punch, nothing too crazy. Just will be listening to rock music mostly. Will replacing just the speakers take care of this? Also, are audio mods allowed on leases? Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There are a lot that don't like the sound system. But tonight I was putting music on a thumb drive for my wife and I was checking it out and had all the doors closed and the motor was not running and you know it sounded pretty dang good. I don't notice that out on the road but in a nice quiet garage is was not bad at all.

You might try an amp to improve sound. One guy put his into the little storage place in the floor behind the rear seat. It must have been a small amp, but he said it worked well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can change the speakers alone but unless you plan on also amplifying it you're going to have to get low powered speakers.

I'm in the process of replacing the entire audio system in my car. I swapped out all the speakers already and noticed a drop in volume. This is because the stock speakers use neodinium magnets and thin cones & surrounds that require very little power to move them. The new speakers have a butyl rubber surround, and ABS plastic cones with metal domes and a much much larger magnet to drive them. These new speakers are rated at 225W peak and 85W RMS. The radio puts out way less than that and so although the quality may be better, the power isn't there.

In short, if you want better sound quality, you'll have to replace the speakers with better aftermarket choices. However, you may have to amplify the power and so you may also need an amplifier as well.

Lastly, something to keep in mind is that the factory speakers are designed to reproduce as many frequencies as possible. Aftermarket speakers are generally designed to be optimized in the mid to high frequency range. This means that you may end up having to add a subwoofer to fill in the low end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts