Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hello all,

I'd been lurking in this forum for the last few weeks to learn about the RAV4, and now would like to share with you my good news. Two days ago, my wife and I just bought a 2006 RAV4 V6 Limited (cloth) in Classic Silver w/ following options: Side/Curtain Airbags (GY), Daytime Running Light (RL), Moonroof (SR), Towing Prep (TO), Wheel Locks (WL), RS3200 Plus Security System (V5), Carpeted Floor Mats (C4). The MSRP is $28,762; we got it for $26,500 cash plus $199 doc. fee & TTL. (NJ has 6% tax). I wrote a check for the final total amount of $28,524. No trade-in. :D

I test drove a base I4 4WD (with a friend and a salesman) last Friday. I also turned on the AC during the test drive, and felt the vehicle may need a little bit more power for my taste. As a Honda fan for 20 years, I also felt the RAV4 Limited's handling a bit too soft for my taste, but just suit my wife's perfectly. I brought my wife in Shore Toyota on Monday's afternoon to test drive the I4 again, but we saw a new V6 Limited with 15 miles on the dealer's lot. My wife test drove the V6 and really like it. Since she had put up with a Subaru Legacy for the last 12 years, I told her she can get what she wanted. Of course, she chose the V6.

I had to send my wife home first because I knew her smiling and happy facial expression would ruin my negotiation. To get down to the aforementioned price, I had to put up with five salesmen and their well-rehearsed acts and tricks :evil:. Their first offer was full MSRP plus $795 prep. fee plus various BS fees... that total to about $33,500. Armed with internet quotes and my knowledge of the vehicle (I learn much from this forum and Edmund's) as well as the I-will-not-hesitate-to-walk-out attitude, I drove the new vehicle home for my wife after a couple of hours. I don't like the experience at the dealership, but thought I bought the car for a decent price. And of course, I'm my wife's hero (at least for awhile).

mikev

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Way to go Mike! Sounds like a great price too.
Good job making the wife happy. The spouses fringe benifits now should be rewarding :lol:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
congrats Mike!!! We are neighbors:) (almost) We are down your area all th etime. The couple who own Volcanic Eruptions are good friends of ours:) We were down there a few weeks for a party there. They close it and throw parties for thie friends. :) fun place. heh heh ..

shhhhhhh

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maverick said:
Way to go Mike! Sounds like a great price too.
Good job making the wife happy. The spouses fringe benifits now should be rewarding :lol:

Thanks, Maverick. My wife truly deserved the new RAV4. I think I did OK pricewise - about $55 above the invoice the salesmen showed me. Of course, their invoice includes about $550 for hold back, etc. that they assumed that I don't know.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
puttputt said:
Congrats, Mike! If you get a chance, post some pics to your album. Oh, and welcome (officially). :D
puttputt,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will try to take and post a few pictures once I have a chance.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flyingn said:
congrats Mike!!! We are neighbors:) (almost) We are down your area all th etime. The couple who own Volcanic Eruptions are good friends of ours:) We were down there a few weeks for a party there. They close it and throw parties for thie friends. :) fun place. heh heh ..

shhhhhhh
Thanks, flyingn. Yes, I guess we are neighbors since Philadelphia is not too far from Atlantic City. I read your post that you averaged about 30 MPG on your RAV4 I4 during your trips to the shore and to Pocono. That's great! Don't know what fuel penalty I will have to endure for the V6. My wife doesn't have lead foot, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are killing me. I just got a quote on a V6 Linmited 2WD from a local SF dealer offering $350 off MSRP, take it or leave it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sloopG said:
You guys are killing me. I just got a quote on a V6 Linmited 2WD from a local SF dealer offering $350 off MSRP, take it or leave it.
Ouch! I'm getting offers of ~$1000 just by pressing the "request a quote" button. So far I'm down to about $2500 off MSRP, and I think I'm finally going to bite.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Congrats all around Mike! We sure are getting a lot of lurker-no-more's around here... :wink: Good thing too, because it usually means they got a new RAV. :lol: Welcome!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congratulations

You did much better on your V6 Limited than I did on my V6 Sport. Also, you were able to get it much quicker than I did (it took approx 3 weeks after I reserved one that was on order for my dealer).

I think the power of the V6 is great. After having a lot of underpowered vehicles, and while I thought the I4 had a lot of pickup, I like knowing that if I need the power, I'll have it. I was impressed on how much power the V6 has.

I know you will enjoy and be impressed with it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
karrock said:
Congrats all around Mike! We sure are getting a lot of lurker-no-more's around here... :wink: Good thing too, because it usually means they got a new RAV. :lol: Welcome!
Thanks, karrock. Yes, this forum is very informative for potential buyers of RAV4. First hand experience from the RAV4 owners are very valuable. Many times I learn things that I would not have thought of or found in automotive magazine reviews.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jadenison said:
Congratulations

You did much better on your V6 Limited than I did on my V6 Sport. Also, you were able to get it much quicker than I did (it took approx 3 weeks after I reserved one that was on order for my dealer).

I think the power of the V6 is great. After having a lot of underpowered vehicles, and while I thought the I4 had a lot of pickup, I like knowing that if I need the power, I'll have it. I was impressed on how much power the V6 has.

I know you will enjoy and be impressed with it.
Thanks, Jim. If the car was for me, I'd probably wanted to test the Sport version before buying; I heard the handling is better. I'm a little supprise that the dealer sold me the car for that price too, especially when they had in stock only one RAV V6 and two base I4 without side/curtain airbags.

As the owner of a 2003 Honda Odyssey with a V6 3.5L 240 hp engine, I'm a bit supprise that the RAV4 V6 is somewhat noisier and not as smooth as the Honda V6. I don't know if this is a valid perception because the Odyssey is a heavier vehicle (+750 lbs) and I'm get used to it for almost 3 years. The RAV4 V6 is punchier, however. Also, my RAV4 has more wind noise than I thought it would be (Camry quiet?). Of course, I don't tell my wife these things; HER DREAM CAR has to be prefect.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gtalum said:
sloopG said:
Ouch! I'm getting offers of ~$1000 just by pressing the "request a quote" button. So far I'm down to about $2500 off MSRP, and I think I'm finally going to bite.
What is Floridas Sales Tax???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sstarrx3 said:
What is Floridas Sales Tax???
Statewide it's 6%. Most counties add something to that. My county, Manatee, adds 0.5% to that, making our sales tax 6.5%.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the state takes back all your hard work in dealing them down :( We don't have sales tax here in Oregon, so that helps allot. Dealers aren't as easy to budge though. I only got $600 of MSRP, but after that only paid $218 for 4 years of Title and Tags. My MSRP was $27,000 I paid $26,400 plus the $218, thats it :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts