Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2012 pyrite mica base 4wd last saturday, the past two days a noise has been driving me crazy.

When I start from a stop and accelerate this higher pitch almost "turbo" sound drowns out the engine noise. Seems to go away once you start to get up to speed and it shifts. Any ideas?

I saw a old tsb for a fuel pump resistor, could that be it??

The rav is certified and Im worried about it being a p.o.s that just cost me nearly $18k I dont have to burn.

The dealorship has a 30 day "swap " for another similar car policy if you dont like it. I'd rather not but I dont want to lose my butt if this rav is really flawed.

I wrecked a tacoma and had to get this one since it was the only 4wd that was still (albeit at the high end) in my price range.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
OMG, seriously...you left out the most important piece of information:

4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine???

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is a long shot since you didn't mention any details on this but, it's worth sharing. I had a noise exactly like you describe with my 2008, and it occurred when my phone was playing music through the AUX port while simultaneously charging. It changed pitch with the accelerator and seemed to go away for the most part when at speed. It resembled a high pitch whining like a supercharger or something. It is/was a grounding issue and I solved it with a ground loop isolator connected to my AUX line in. I don't know if they fixed this issue for the 2012s, and if so, then I guess this is irrelevant. Also, if you are not listening to music through your phone, also disregard. Best of luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a long shot since you didn't mention any details on this but, it's worth sharing. I had a noise exactly like you describe with my 2008, and it occurred when my phone was playing music through the AUX port while simultaneously charging. It changed pitch with the accelerator and seemed to go away for the most pat when at speed. It resembled a high pitch whining like a supercharger or something. It is/was a grounding issue and I solved it with a ground loop isolator connected to my AUX line in. I don't know if they fixed this issue for the 2012s, and if so, then I guess this is relevant. Also, if you are not listening to music through your phone, also disregard. Best of luck!
I'll have to test this tomorrow, I have used my phone but I think there have been times when I didnt have it on. I also only used the 12volt not the Aux. I notice someone on Edmunds had the same problem in December but no one had a answer. Hopefully its just the interference you talked about.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
4 cylinder. I thought that would show in my profile since I had to fill it out before you can post.
Ignoring the fact that making people hunt down your profile to help you is not exactly very courteous, it is my understanding that profiles can get a default value of 4 Cylinder, so if it says 4 Cylinder in the profile, it's not always correct (can't be trusted).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
High pitch when accelerating I would say check belts and maybe an intake/vacuum leak somewhere. Maybe as simple as them having changed the air filter but not sealed it up properly. With it being certified and performing normally aside from that noise I definitely wouldn't be going down that "OMG I bought a lemon" rabbit hole.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was not the phone being plugged in. With the radio off and nothing plugged in it was for sure something winding up. It occurs right around 1500rpms and is louder if you accelerate harder. Once it shifts to 2nd gear it pretty much goes away.

Hopefully I can stop in tomorrow after work and talk to them since I didnt get a call again from the service manager even though they emailed me that he would.

Rav is still driving good though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So update:

Dealor tech was pretty uncool. Basically he was suppose to drive with me around the lot. Instead jumped in with myself still in the waiting room and drove around town about 4 miles. Came back told the manage theres nothing wrong with it who told me. I requested to show him and he was a douche when the manager asked. He said " I know what you are probably hearing, Its a Rav, Its a noisy economy mom car". The service manager just stared, quickly he changed it to "my mom has one and it has noises".

Finally he agreed to go with me, took all of 2 minutes to show him how mine has a extra rev up and whoose down . He said there could be a torque convertor thing going on and he would check the tsb for any new info.

My salesman and I took a identical rav out to drive and mine. The salesmen and I both notice they sound similar but my has that extra noise. Service said "theres nothing for us to fix unless we take the trans off and inspect it but the tech says its just noisy like his moms"

Awesome.

Well I decided to just wait alittle bit, wasnt aware of the 50 dollar deductible on certified vehicle service.

The even more concerning thing is that this dealer still hasnt done anything about the weather stripping that came off literally 5 minutes into owning it..................And I discovered that every seat is extremely rusted!!!! The carper is hard under them as well. Anyone has have this problem on their ravs or could this be a flood car that was never turned into the insurance company. There was a massive flood in detroit last summer.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Oi yeah I would pull up the door sills and carpet and take a peek. Sounds like some significant water damage. I'd be having words with Toyota about how they let a flood car get certified if that was the case.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
And I discovered that every seat is extremely rusted!!!! The carper is hard under them as well. Anyone has have this problem on their ravs or could this be a flood car that was never turned into the insurance company. There was a massive flood in detroit last summer.
my 2012 is the same way, all the metal under the seats is coverred with a thin coat of rust, they just cheaped out on the paint for the seat frames, probably rusting during the winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my 2012 is the same way, all the metal under the seats is coverred with a thin coat of rust, they just cheaped out on the paint for the seat frames, probably rusting during the winter.
Well thats good to hear......I guess?? I still need to make sure to look under the sill this weekend. Just bought some mudflaps of ebay to put on as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
.......And I discovered that every seat is extremely rusted!!!! The carper is hard under them as well. Anyone has have this problem on their ravs or could this be a flood car that was never turned into the insurance company. There was a massive flood in detroit last summer.
My driver and rear seat rails are a little rusted. The area around the bolts on the floor is also rusted. Pretty poor quality on behalf of Toyota. Must be the salt used in winter in Ottawa. My RAV had the rust since 20K miles.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
And I discovered that every seat is extremely rusted!!!! The carper is hard under them as well. Anyone has have this problem on their ravs or could this be a flood car that was never turned into the insurance company. There was a massive flood in detroit last summer.
Not good! I looked at a sports car last year. It had a sign, "Make Offer", and while it looked clean, it had an odd smell. Turns out there are people who buy only liability insurance, and this was one. Yes, it was in a flood.

I would take the dealer's offer for a different vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts