Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I just bought a new 2015 RAV4 XLE AWD in Dark Grey with a Black interior. Is there anything that y'all would recommend doing with a new car? Or if you can fill me in on some cool features. One question that I have already is the traffic app,how do I zoom in on my location?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Congrats. I've had mine for just over a week now. Dark Grey/Black must the the color du jour. One of the first things I did was get a set of OEM mud flaps off Amazon. A lot less expensive than at a dealership and pretty trivial to install yourself. If you own a screwdriver, you can install them. They will help to keep your car clean.

Other thing I did was get a set of All-weather rubber mats. Again, it will protect your carpet when the weather turns wet. I purchased mine from the dealer with the car, but you can get them a lot less expensively elsewhere. Just make sure they are the OEM style, with the little attachment holes.

Only other mod I've done that you probably won't be interested in doing is to order and install a trailer hitch. Not to tow anything, but for a place to attach my hitch receiver bike rack. That was pretty easy install also, but you need the correct tools, (17mm, 19mm sockets and a torque wrench).

If yours didn't come with roof rack cross bars, that are also available off eBay or Amazon for a lot less than at the dealer. Simple install also.

Enjoy your RAV. It's a nice vehicle. If I had a 'do over', I'd wait for the hybrid.

p.s. Can't help you with the traffic app. Once I found out that you can't use the GPS navigator when the car is in motion, (as with my Lexus), I lost all interest in using it. I have a Garmin GPS for when I want to find something. Traffic? I avoid L.A. like the plague and will only go there in off hours.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.For the mud flaps I've been considering that,but I'll hold off on it for now I got the carpet mat package,but the rubber ones seem promising,for those wet days,the tow bar I might consider(for those parallel parking times lol)I'll also hold off on cross bars for now. Traffic app is nice lol,I'm in the tri state area so no worries about la traffic XD

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine came with the carpet kit too. If you get the All-weather mats, keep in mind that it is an either/or. You either use the carpet kit or the rubber mats. Can't use both at the same time. Also, there are two kits. One for the passenger area that includes four mats. Two front and two rear. The other kit is for the storage area.

My carpet kit is sitting in the garage now, and they will probably stay there. After a week or so, I can't believe how 'dirty' the rubber mat are. Imagine the carpet getting that soiled. The rubber mats are a lot easier to clean than carpet.

- - -

One little tidbit. Under the back seats is wide open. Usually, that area is blocked off with some type of panel. It is the perfect place to shove a plastic shoebox size container. You can reach it from the driver's seat and has enough 'bars' around it that it won't go sliding all over the place when you are driving. I store my bike rack straps/lock as well as other infrequently used items.

Also, there is a little plastic tray you can get from Amazon that fits into your center console. Instead of one large cubbie, now you have a lower cubbie and the tray that is subdivided into several storage places. Only about 12 bucks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm very interesting,is there any other cool or useful accessories you would recommend?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hmm very interesting,is there any other cool or useful accessories you would recommend?
Car is still too new to me. Still learning about it.

On some weekend when I'm totally bored, I'm going to read up about installing sound insulation in the door panels and trunk/hatch area. The car is a tad noisy, (compared to my Lexus, which this RAV is replacing).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There is also a lidded small storage area behind the rear seats that stretches all the way across the vehicle.
After opening the sun roof all the way back till it stops if you press the button again it opens another few inches.

There is a thread here with tips like these that I searched for but couldn't find.

Congrats on your new rav!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup I had placed some straps in there for those times if needed, I tried the sun roof thing you told me about,it was amazing, thank you!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you guys don't mind,what is supposed to come with the spare tire?Like kit wise and the accessories it has

1 - 15 of 15 Posts