Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm glad to be joining the 4-um. I want to figure out how to elongate the life of my used 1999 RAV4 by doing any preventative maintenance or interesting fixes that you guys find. Looking forward to learning about this bad-ass car.

EDIT: I bought this car because My brother has this bad-ass 4runner and tells me all the time about how reliable his toyota is. I needed this class of car very bad as I've been driving a front-wheel mitsubishi 300GT in the harsh colorado snows and rains this whole time (NOT FUN). Something with good mileage, 4 wheel drive, and cargo space was something I needed and toyota was already in my mind for reliability. Plus my mom has a CRV and I really didn't feel stylish in one of those.

Already have a couple problems (radio antennae seems weak, having a major idling issue which I think is caused by cloggex catalytic converter) but I can tell that for such an old car it really was a great buy and investment. Did I mention I bought the car at 175,000 miles? So I might have to deal with a lot more work than some of you folks had to with your newer cars but I'm sure it can be just as healthy as my 140,000 mile mitsubishi.

I drive non-stop highway to neighboring cities for work (2 hrs~ each drive/ once a week or so) and can't stop because of harsh weather conditions. I just put 5 brand new mud and snow tires on my ride and am getting a more thorough mechanics check done tomorrow so I can set up a plan for maintenance. I don't even own an owner's manual yet so I'll have to find one....

-Quin:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats!! One thing you can do, is to use proper fluids!! We were just discussing that subject in a different thread. Toyota's are known to act up if you use just any ole kind. Any auto store should be able to hook you up with the proper stuff. For me, I always go to O'Reilly's and they make sure it's the right stuff. First thing I would do is an oil change... just be sure to get the right kind of oil and the right weight! Also the right kind of oil filter. 2nd, I'd check the radiator fluid. Make sure it's strong enough (hasn't been watered down by the previous owner). Then maybe check all your fuses to make sure all are in good working order. Check to see if things are lubed up well also.
I probably didn't tell you anything you already didn't know, eh? lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear LASmith

Not true - I don't know anything! haha thank you for the advice and I'm gonna get my but onto some more specific forums after I hear the good word from my trusted mechanic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts