Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi :D

I just bought my 55 plate RAV4. The cigarette lighter on the dash is still working. However, the one near the handbrake and the one in the boot are no longer working.
Is this simply a fuse issue I can resolve? If so, where are they to change?

Is there a way of cleaning the socket? The one near the handbrake seems a bit dirty/rusty inside

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Welcome! If you have the Owner's Manual there are diagrams which show the locations of the fuses. Cleaning cigarette lighter sockets - they aren't usually problems since it seems that most people use them for powering their electronic devices, rather than as sockets for lighting cigarettes and other smoking materials. But perhaps using some sort of solvent such as non-toxic paint thinner and cotton swabs would help, or using something such as a piece of fabric saturated with that sort of solvent wrapped around a larger implement like the plastic handle of a screwdriver which will fit inside the sockets and can be turned by using a small spanner on the flat end of the screwdriver . . .Other forum members may have other suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No owners manual, was hoping someone would be aware of their location.
The socket just looks a bit rusty inside, was a penny jammed in it when I got the car.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Mariia, the fuse panel you're looking for is UNDER the glove box on a RHD RAV4. On our LHD RAV's it is on the driver's side right next to the hood release. You have to lay down on your back with your head on the floor mat and look UP. There is a plastic cover that has the fuses labeled. You are looking for a 15A fuse labeled CIG.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Could you get the penny out? That likely would have blown the fuse if it had been jammed all the way into the receptacle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the penny was jammed the whole way down. Thankfully a bit of perseverance and a knife managed to get it out!
I will try replacing the fuse today and let you know if that works :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts