Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first RAV4., (2017 Toyota RAV4, Limited) ...Question: What exactly does RAV mean.?? I assume the 4 means 4 cylinder, although reading through other posts Toyota previously had a V6 in the RAV..So was it called RAV6..??
Maybe.."Reliable Affordable Vehicle"..?
As I've stated earlier, am getting to like and enjoy the RAV4 as the miles pile up., just seems to run better then when new...Thanks for the info if anyone has an answer...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,757 Posts
I looked for a 2WD when I got mine. None to be found. But I'm still very happy with the 4W.
The 4WD RAV4 is very hard to find in the South. About all you find at the dealerships down here is 2WD. Everybody seems to want the 4WD in snow country.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The 4WD RAV4 is very hard to find in the South. About all you find at the dealerships down here is 2WD. Everybody seems to want the 4WD in snow country.
It's a Yankee conspiracy to keep the Rebs away.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,757 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Could it be Recreational AllTerrain Vehicle???
According to Toyota it is "Recreational Active Vehicle with 4-wheel drive".

More bull**** from the commercial sect. It might be amusing to make a new acronym.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I live in the northeast, so naturally couldn't find a 2W. But I bought it when I retired and then became a snowbird so have no use for 4W. Figures, right!

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
I suppose this discussion should be in the 4.1 section since that's the genesis of the name RAV4 but it just felt like a sit-back-with-the-arms-over-the-head type discussion so we are now in the Lounge. :wink

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I think it's Recreational ACTIVITY Vehicle 4wd, no??

"Recreational Active Vehicle with 4-wheel drive" as noted by ivan70 in post #2.

Although not all RAV4s are four-wheel drive, RAV4 stands for "Recreational Active Vehicle with 4-wheel drive" because the aforementioned equipment is an option in select countries. In most markets, the RAV4 is the only compact SUV or crossover available from Toyota.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4

·
Registered
158 Posts
Activity sounds so much better though, lol... I've learned to take Wikipedia articles lightly, most of the time they have minor mistakes and wrong spelling for some words, or the wrong traduction for others.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think we should put the whole subject to rest..Really didn't think my remarks would cause such a conversation...Again appreciate the information...Hope everyone has a great 4th of July...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts