Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got today RAV4 X in test drive. I run it on hingway for 300km. I have to say power of this 177hp diesel is amazing. I also tested 4wd lock button "we have here 20cm snow" when you press lock button it will disable VSC+ and other control systems. I runned car in field where was 40cm snow whit no problems. Also I noticed there is no power pike any more when turbo kicks in and that I like you can run the car in 1000rmp and speed up big gears whit no problems.

I will get my own in Febuary, I cant wait to get it.

E

·
0 Posts
How was the road noise compared to 4.2?? Keep coming back to this....but I really dislike in my old 4.2.

I'm also considering the X-model!

V

·
0 Posts
Add me to that list....

......There are a lot of people over here in the U.S. that ENVY you guys!!!!!....First off, you guys get the waaayy SHORTER version!!!....and then you get the option of a diesel!!!.....NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR!! :(

....any way maybe we can import a diesel here from Europe, and get the best of BOTH worlds??....a nice SHORT compact RAV (the way it was supposed to be :roll: ), and a nice torquey diesel.....oooooohhh...la la!! :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Re: Add me to that list....

victor555 said:
......There are a lot of people over here in the U.S. that ENVY you guys!!!!!....First off, you guys get the waaayy SHORTER version!!!....and then you get the option of a diesel!!!.....NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR!! :(

....any way maybe we can import a diesel here from Europe, and get the best of BOTH worlds??....a nice SHORT compact RAV (the way it was supposed to be :roll: ), and a nice torquey diesel.....oooooohhh...la la!! :lol:
I agree about the short version that Europe gets but not North America. I think the shorter version looks much better and sportier. If you dont' get the third row seats, I wish the short version was offered here.

I'd LOVE the short version in a black sport model.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
epitaph said:
How was the road noise compared to 4.2?? Keep coming back to this....but I really dislike in my old 4.2.

I'm also considering the X-model!
There was no noise, I was speking my mobile phone speaker open in speed 120kmh and other side didnt notice that I was in car. There was also winter tyres I didn here those.

It was 100% better than old, my old was 2005 4.2.

I just can't wait to get my own.

G

·
0 Posts
pleace tel us more about the test drive,I am a big man
Is there room at the driversseat for big and tall people

S

·
0 Posts
sean20202020 said:
ctxmetaframe said:
I got today RAV4 X in test drive. I run it on hingway for 300km.
I thought you drove 300km/HOUR. :shock:
You meant 300km driving, right?
lol, thats what he said. He said he run it ON highway, FOR 300km.
He would have said "I run it 300kmh on the highway" if he meant what you thought.

:).

S

·
0 Posts
edcruz_2010 said:
ctxmetaframe said:
I like you can run the car in 1000rmp and speed up big gears whit no problems.
Yes, the legendary diesel torque output response at any rpm. Man, you can't imagine how I envy you.
eh, what he said meant that there is no usual turbo hole, common in diesels (such as old 4.2), that would not give you any power under 1,500 rpm. Diesels hot spot is usually somewhere between 1,500rpm and 3,000rpm. So, their workable rpm range is much less than an gas engine.

However, when in proper rpm range, power is really good.

----

good stuff about X, tell us more!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm 183cm tall

geudens said:
pleace tel us more about the test drive,I am a big man
Is there room at the driversseat for big and tall people
I didn't have any problems and now when you can change wheel base up and down you get more room when you are tall. There is lots posibilities in driver seat to get good driving position.

Only minus was you do not have memory places in drivers seat, so when you have two drivers you have to tune every time your position again.

We I was driving pack to dealers shop and seated on my RAV4 4.2 2005. It was like LADA after RAV4 X.

It is extreame good car to drive.

Some people mid not like electrical steering because it lost on more sensitive that mechanical. I started to like it after 50km drive.
I think you muscles start to notice sensiteve steering after while.

JS

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool options in RAV4 X Nordic

-windscreen heating
-VSC+ you cannot rotate you RAV4 X
-Auto head lights, day time when you drive in tunnel lights come up automatically
-Mirrors turn from one button
-you cannot hear studded tyres inside when you drive
-Dual air conditioning
-Smart start system, you do not need key any more

JS

·
Registered
44 Posts
spwolfx said:
eh, what he said meant that there is no usual turbo hole, common in diesels (such as old 4.2), that would not give you any power under 1,500 rpm. Diesels hot spot is usually somewhere between 1,500rpm and 3,000rpm. So, their workable rpm range is much less than an gas engine.

However, when in proper rpm range, power is really good.
Not really, it is quite the contrary. Gas engines are closer to what is called acute power response engines, meaning they provide their maximum torque at a given rpm, in the RAV4 close to 4000. If the engine move up or down from that value your actual torque decrease rapidly. That's why switching gears is so critical in gas engines compared to Diesel. Diesel in the other hand provide what is called flat response output, meaning torque is the same IN THE WHOLE RANGE. So, when you read the specifications you will see that the say for the gas engine 192Nm/4000rpm and for the diesel they say 250Nm/1800-3200rpm (Values from Toyota UK for the old 4.2). The flat and acute refers to the shape of the graph of torque versus rpm. From there you could see that there is no such "hot spot" for the Diesel, rather a hot range where the engine delivers close to maximum torque, this explains the fact that Diesel powered cars are more forgiving when it comes to work with the gears. Also I don't know exactly what you refer to with "no power at all below 1500 rpm", since Diesel tend to provide way more power/torque at low rpm than their gas counterpart.
There are a lot of myths, especially in North America, about the response and behavior of Diesel cars. Maybe because the closer reference is the Jeep Liberty. But I could assure you that 90% of them are just that, myths.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In 4.2 RAV4 you will get Turbo active at 1800rpm. Between 1000 to 1800rpm 4.2 engine response is extreamly slow. But in new 4.3 D-CAT engine response is 100% better that 4.2.
This gives exelent performance even when Turbo is not active.

JS

1 - 20 of 25 Posts