Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '17 Magnetic Grey XLE, and so far I'm really happy with it. The only mods I'm certain about is getting some Husky liners for the cargo area and 1st and 2nd row seats. Also, I'd like to get the windows tinted-front 30-35, and limo tint on the back and windows and rear windshield (all state legal). I would only do the front windows in terms of color preference, but living in the South, I want UV protection all around, and if I'm going to bother with the back I might as way make it daaaark. I'd do the sunroof except that I've read that that's a bad idea..oh well.

Some things I am curious about:

--HD Weather/Traffic never works. It caught a signal one time, but for a smaller city about an hour's drive away. Is it something I have to set up? I live in a city of 400,000+, so it's not like I'm in the boonies and shouldn't expect good reception.

--Would changing the head unit all together for an aftermarket one with CarPlay take away the ability to see the fuel economy etc? Any other "side effects" from changing out the head unit?

--I think that I would like either the cargo hammock or cargo net? Any suggestions or advice?

--The only real buyers remorse I have is that I miss not having the smart key system and I really miss leather seats, even Softex. Has anyone had the dealer swap out the seats? Price? I've looked in the forums and saw aftermarket seats from Katsins (?), and looked really nice, but haven't seen much about "upgrading" stock cloth seats for Toyota OEM softex.

--What are the stock bulbs for hi/low beam? LED would have been cool, but not that big of a deal to me. However, I'd like a whiter color. Any suggestions?

Seems that in hindsight I should have looked at the SE or Limited, but I am happy with the XLE. It's the first car I bought all on my own, and maybe the first and last brand new car I'll ever buy, but I'm happy and looking forward to a decade in this thing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi/low beams are 9012. i swapped in LED bulbs from amazon. install was less than 5 minutes. and dont have to deal with a ballast with HIDs

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've never had trouble with traffic and weather not updating. It usually takes about 5 minutes or so to load the data.

I can't comment on swapping the head unit, but my guess is you could still access vehicle information through the MID. When you start messing with the vehicle's electrical system, there's always a risk of creating electrical problems.

You can swap out the seats or have them reupholstered. Pricing would depend on your dealer, unless you were able to find the seats salvaged from a totaled RAV4, which is probably rare right now.

I think the cargo hammock is much more versatile than the net. I've had the net for over a year and find no good use for it. The hammock is kind of nice because you can use it to partition the cargo area.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Another vote for the hammock net here. I find it versatile, strong, and quite useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts