Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They don’t have a remedy yet apparently. Might short out and cause fire. Wonderful, just before winter.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Obviously that's not good news. Does the recall apply to all 4.4 factory installed block heaters, or only to the '14 models? If it doesn't apply to all it would seem that Toyota should simply be able to replace the suspect heater with one which isn't subject to the recall. If the recall applies to all, Toyota has a large corporate headache to deal with!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My recall states pretty much all Toyota models in the 16-17 years. But also says “certain” rav4 2016-2017, “certain” corollas 2016-2017 etc. etc.

The interim fix is to take your car to Toyota and they cut off the plug and put a warning on it until they find a proper fix.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
My recall states pretty much all Toyota models in the 16-17 years. But also says “certain” rav4 2016-2017, “certain” corollas 2016-2017 etc. etc.

The interim fix is to take your car to Toyota and they cut off the plug and put a warning on it until they find a proper fix.
That doesn't seem to be an appropriate remedy for a car maker such as Toyota! A Band-Aid fix? If I were involved I believe that I would try to repair the problem myself, but that probably would involve removing the block heater for accessibility. This problem doesn't appear to involve rocket science to achieve a solution!

·
Registered
248 Posts
That doesn't seem to be an appropriate remedy for a car maker such as Toyota! A Band-Aid fix? If I were involved I believe that I would try to repair the problem myself, but that probably would involve removing the block heater for accessibility. This problem doesn't appear to involve rocket science to achieve a solution!
Well actually it is a typical modern day safety response. When GM had a similar issue with heated windshield washer pumps, shorting out and causing electrical fires. Their solution was to cut the wires to the heater, remove the actual heating module and call it done. If Toyota actually remedies it in time, that will put them one step up from those who just remove the option and say "tough luck" we did it for your safety.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think I'd rather take it in and have it disabled immediately to avoid roasting my car and then wait for the fix. If it wasn't forthcoming I'd tell Toyota to reimburse whatever extra that option cost.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think I'd rather take it in and have it disabled immediately to avoid roasting my car and then wait for the fix. If it wasn't forthcoming I'd tell Toyota to reimburse whatever extra that option cost.
You can "tell" them what you want, but under law in modern times, their only legal obligation is to make it safe. If they promise you that a fix is coming, you are still ahead of how many of their competition handles such things.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Isn't the block heater a plug into standard voltage device? Past block heaters I had in Minnesota were plug ins. If so, disabling involves simply not plugging it in . . .not to worry.

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Isn't the block heater a plug into standard (120V) voltage device? Past block heaters I had in Minnesota were plug ins. If so, disabling involves simply not plugging it in . . .not to worry.
Exactly. :shrug: Why have Toyota cut the plug off when all you have to do is not use it?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anyone has information on when Toyota will have a fix for that? Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't receive any notice. Should all owners be notified by now? I hate they mentioned it's for specific lots for 4.4. I hope I did not accidentially throw the mail away.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
No mention of US vehicles, just Canadian.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/about/news/toyota-recalls-certain-accessory-block-heaters

(TORONTO, ON. – July 20, 2017) Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) announced that it is conducting a safety recall of certain accessory engine block heaters installed by dealers in some Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles. Approximately 37,000 vehicles are involved in Canada.
The electrical power cords of the involved dealer installed accessory engine block heaters may have been improperly manufactured, resulting in contact between wires that could cause a short circuit. If a short circuit occurs, the wire insulation may overheat, increasing the risk of a fire.
All known owners of the involved accessory engine block heaters will receive notification by first class mail starting in late July. Toyota and Lexus dealers will provide temporary measures until the remedy is available, at no cost to the customer.
Information about automotive recalls, including but not limited to the list of involved vehicles, is subject to change over time. For the most up-do-date Safety Recall information, customers should check their vehicle’s status by entering the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), for Toyota and Scion vehicles by visiting toyota.ca/recall, and Lexus vehicles by visiting lexus.ca/recall. For any additional questions, customer support is also available by calling Toyota Customer Interaction Centre at 1-888-TOYOTA-8 (1-888-869-6828) for Toyota and Scion vehicles, or Lexus Customer Service at 1-800-26-LEXUS (1-800-265-3987) for Lexus vehicles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did not know they have different set of parts for US & CA. I thought we are shared parts because ours were assembled in CA plant.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No mention of US vehicles, just Canadian.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/about/news/toyota-recalls-certain-accessory-block-heaters

(TORONTO, ON. – July 20, 2017) Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) announced that it is conducting a safety recall of certain accessory engine block heaters installed by dealers in some Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles. Approximately 37,000 vehicles are involved in Canada.
The electrical power cords of the involved dealer installed accessory engine block heaters may have been improperly manufactured, resulting in contact between wires that could cause a short circuit. If a short circuit occurs, the wire insulation may overheat, increasing the risk of a fire.
All known owners of the involved accessory engine block heaters will receive notification by first class mail starting in late July. Toyota and Lexus dealers will provide temporary measures until the remedy is available, at no cost to the customer.
Information about automotive recalls, including but not limited to the list of involved vehicles, is subject to change over time. For the most up-do-date Safety Recall information, customers should check their vehicle’s status by entering the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), for Toyota and Scion vehicles by visiting toyota.ca/recall, and Lexus vehicles by visiting lexus.ca/recall. For any additional questions, customer support is also available by calling Toyota Customer Interaction Centre at 1-888-TOYOTA-8 (1-888-869-6828) for Toyota and Scion vehicles, or Lexus Customer Service at 1-800-26-LEXUS (1-800-265-3987) for Lexus vehicles.
Strange, my recall notice said factory installed, not dealer installed.

And also, just noticed, that was from the Canada site sayin 37,000 vehicles affected in Canada. I haven’t looked into it but it’s not uncommon for the a country’s website to only list how many vehicles are affected in that country. Not sure if that line alone excludes any other countries from being affected.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts