Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, let me just say that I thought a couple of times of chickening out as I drove up to the place. Man, there were quite a few serious rally crossers up there and they're almost all Subarus. Thankfully, some of the organizers talked me out of it and just told me to have fun. I ran in street stock 4wd class which was the second group to run after 2wd street stock. The course was set up at the bottom of a hillside and was somewhat flat with a few rough spots and two dips. It was pretty dry in most places but the rains from last month and the past week left two turns still damp. Needless to say that after the first group, there was some rather nasty muddy ruts in those two turns. a small Mini really tore up the course if you can believe that. :D Anyways, as expected I would've been pretty much last if it wasn't for the fact that two people knocked down some cones that cost them. Hey, I'll take what I can get. :D
Here are the results...

http://www.sfrscca.org/RallyX/scoring/RXScores.2005.5.14.pdf

It was still a fun experience though if you can get past the intial fear and anxiety. You really get to see what your Rav can do in long turns at speed or sharp V turns. My favorite was the muddy rutted turn which was turn number 2. Man, it was a fright the first time thru feeling the Rav slide a bit. I thought I had actually gone out of the course and hit a cone. I did get used to it though as after each timed run and posted a bit faster times. They measured times in hundredths of a minute. Mine were from first run to last..1.15, 1.09, 1.06, 1.03. Some of the things I found the Rav needs improvement in for this type of race are better tires, stiffer struts, and faster acceleration at the low end. Other than that, it was a blast once you actually got on the course. Definitely wold recommend other bay area Ravers to give it a try..hint, hint, Ron818, Zoomie....
:wink: :wink: :wink:

[/img]

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've been wanting to do something like that for a while now, although I don't know of any events similar to that around here.

I figure I would do pretty well for a first-timer because my Rav has good tires, no ABS, and a 5-speed, plus I've done a lot of driving off-road, through the mud, and in the snow. My only fear is flipping over, because I have come darn close a few times. Knowing me I would probably break a driveaxle or some part of the suspension going too fast over a bump.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I just checked the Northeast SCCA site and found some rally events here in New Hampshire. I'll have to check them out but I don't know where to start.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see there's a Rochester Rally X on May 22. That's not too far off. You can just go check it out. Spectators didn't have to pay to watch at my event so you can just go and see how everything is run. If you're already ready to jump into the fire, the first thing would be to download their entry form and pay their fee. After that, some essentials you'll probably need are tire pressure gage and tire pump at the very least. Everyone was airing up a bit to avoid "popping the bead" as they call it. Had to borrow a porta-pump from someone to air up my tires to 35 psi. We had to self tech our own rides so a rag would also be helpful as you check your own oil and other fluids and lines. Other than that, I'd say just decide whether you want to go or not and then just do it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My brother does AutoX and track events with SCCA and NASA in the Northeast with his Integra Type R, so I'm sure he can tell me what to do. I looked at the Rochester event, it's barely a half hour from here, but I know I will be really busy next weekend so I probably won't be able to make it. I should talk to my neighbor, he has a 2004 WRX, but he doesn't seem to be the type of guy that would be into auto sports.

Did you need a helmet? I think I see you wearing one in the pictures. I know most of those SCCA events usually require a helmet.

I popped a bead once a while back right after I got my Rav, definitely not fun, although I managed not to destroy the rim beyond a few scratches. It was more of a blowout, however the bead did come off the rim. Took me forever to find a shop that carried one of the stock Toyos for replacement. I usually keep my tires at 32-35 PSI anyway because it helps with the handling and gas mileage.

Do you have a 5-speed or the automatic? I think my Rav has a decent amount of nut in first and second gear and the high end of third. I guess I gotta practice more rev-matching when I shift between 1st 2nd and 3rd, although I am pretty good at that under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was wearing one. The guys in the San Francisco region provided loaner helmets so you didn't have to have your own although I bought my own anyways since I didn't want to wear someone else's sweaty helmet. :? :? They require at least a Class M2000 or SA2000 helmet. Open face instead of closed is recommended on vehicles with airbags. Might want to check on the event you eventually plan on going to to see if you have to bring your own or not.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man, only a half hour away? I'd go and try to squeeze in some viewing time at the very least if I were in your shoes. I had to drive about 2 1/2 hours just to get to mine. And that's the closest event to me at anytime of the year. :( :( :(
I have the auto but I kept the OD off. Some of the guys there actually suggested that I keep it in 2nd but didn't want to risk overrevving in the middle of the race. I'm not even sure what kinda speeds I was running since I was concentrating so much on turning and controlling the Rav. There were a couple of guys there who missed their shifts. One guy stalled right near the finish after a very good run when he popped the clutch. That killed him right there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hell yeah, I wanna go again. :) There's another rally x next month which I'm thinking of going to as well. Finally found the second thing besides being a daily driver that I want to use my Rav as. Never really cared for street racing so that wasnt an option of mine. I liked going offroad but only on easy surfaces. Rally x gives me a good mix of speed, driving skill, and offroad fun. :D :D While I may never turn it into a full blow rally car, I think I'll aim for making my Rav into a decent rally x car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts