Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to the forum.

My Wife and I just inherited a 2002 Rav4 from my Mother-in-law this past week. It has 52,256 miles on it. Body's immaculate and it looks like they kept up with the maintenance. According to her notes in the maintenance log, the oil and filter's recently been changed. At 38,800 miles the transmission fluid (doesn't mention filter though), coolant, and differential lube was changed. We live in Pennsylvania and it just passed inspection this past January. I changed the air filter, ran a can of Seafoam through a full tank of fresh fuel. There's a little rust occurring on the underside. I have the professional Woolwax (equivalent to Fluid Film) gun with wands and will thoroughly treat the undercarriage this summer, so hopefully the rust won't progress. From what I'm able to determine on line, this vehicle has a timing chain that does not require any maintenance. Is that correct? I'll likely change the oil and filter soon, switching over to Mobil 1 full synthetic as that is what I use in all my vehicles. Maybe change the serpentine (accessory drive) belt too. Several years back I replaced the links on the front stabilizer bar for her as they were starting to make noise when you'd hit a bump.

Anything anyone can recommend that I also consider doing soon?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since it sounds like it may have sat a bit. I would

bleed the brakes
check the brake pads
replace the coolant, inspect the coolant fins
inspect the water pump from below make sure coolant isn't weeping out.
drain and fill the transmission fluid 3 times (drive around between each drain and fill) Valvoline MAXLIFE ATF
upgrade to a blue tooth stereo - I prefer Crutchfields - they provide the installation kit and wiring harness, instructions
check for power steering leak where it attached to the steering wheel linkage.There is seal that will eventually leak

generally inspect brake lines for rust, various hoses for cracks, etc. Don't be surprised if there is exhaust pipe rust from sitting.

sounds like a nice pick up!

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Suggest also going to www.toyotaowners.com, registering with the vehicle's VIN. All services done by Toyota dealers can be shown. Also that site should have maintenance logbook info for your RAV4. Enjoy your RAV4!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts