Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD in Blizzard Pearl
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed some fog lights on my 2016 LE. I’ve got everything wired up and noticed there’s a wire needing to be tied into the park lights. My question is does anyone know if it’s essential to hook up to the fog lights to the park lights? Or can I run them without tying into the park lights.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,551 Posts
I would depend on wiring diagram. Is there a DRL portion of the LED fog package or are they using the parking light to power the fog light...or?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would depend on wiring diagram. Is there a DRL portion of the LED fog package or are they using the parking light to power the fog light...or?
I don’t believe they are using the parking light power seeing as I have wire going to the battery in the harness. There is also no DRL portion. I bought a set that supposed to be OEM replacement. But mine never came equipped with them.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,551 Posts
Well, if you have a power and a ground and a switch thats the basics. If they included a relay harness then the parking lamp feed is most likely to trip the relay and allow the fog lights to come on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if you have a power and a ground and a switch thats the basics. If they included a relay harness then the parking lamp feed is most likely to trip the relay and allow the fog lights to come on.
That would make sense. I have a feeling I might need to find better grounds as well. I hooked up the parking light wire just to entertain myself. Nothing happened so I’m assuming one of my grounding points is not sufficient enough.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,551 Posts
You would be best off to see if you can find an OEM grounding point nearby to just make sure the basics of your install are correct. It would help to see the harness you are installing to see if there is a relay assembly on it. Trace the black wire for your battery and you usually can find a grounding point that way. Might not be convenient...but it will make sure positive and negative are correct.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium Blueprint
149 Posts
OP: you would be better off getting one of the admins move this to the right sub forum for your car. you posted in the Gen5 (2019+) sub forum instead of Gen 4....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Finally got them working. It was a bad ground. Now just to wait for LED bulbs to come in to match up the front lights.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,551 Posts
Did you need to use the parking lot feed or no?

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,551 Posts
Excellent! Glad you got it working! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me too. I’ve always thought the fog lights really compliment the front end look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you end up tapping-in to the parking lights? I’m looking to either tap into the parking lights myself, or the low-beams for the +ve side of the fog light relay on the kit I got.
I tapped into the green wire of the headlight harness

1 - 17 of 17 Posts