Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Red 06 2x4 Base and the Mrs is smile'n :D
It took 1 week and 6 days to get it once we put a deposit down. They can't keep them on the lot they say.
Yeah, we did test out a V6 and I did likee :D but for our requirements the 2wd I4 will work out fine.
The Mrs has always liked small fuel efficient cars and after riding in a friends CRV a few yrs back, we knew a small SUV was in our plans.
A few quick observations whilst the ride home is still fresh in my volitile memory.
1) The ride is nice, especially for an SUV. The 4sp auto coupled to the I4 seems well matched for the hills and curves of my area. A 5sp would be continually shifting which I would find aggravating. The I4 seems to have enough low end torque to pull slight hills in OD (4th) without upshifting, this is good!
2) My 6' frame fits in behind the steering wheel alot better than it did in the Mrs' two previous cars, a 96 Saturn SL2 and an 01 Corolla LE. Getting in and out is very easy and doesn't require any contortion and in the hr ride back I was still comfortable and not cramped.
3) While it is more quiet than the Corolla, the RAV does have road noise and the engine gets pretty loud on spirited excelleration. When pointing this out to the Mrs she said "what noise" :D She'll be cranking the sounds up anyways :D Normal cruising in 4th is very exceptable tho.
4) It took little time for the heater to blow hot air. When it's cold outside, we likes to be toasty inside and this is a welcome feature.
5) It doesn't have automatic headlights nor daylight running lights nor do the doors lock automatically when the car is started and put in gear. We got used to these handy little features in prior cars but the Mrs said she could live quite well without them so thats fine with me.
6) I did notice a vibration in the excellerator pedal at idle in gear. There wasn't any vibration on the steering wheel or gear shifter and when I asked the Mrs if she felt any vibrations over on the passengers side and she said "what vibrations?" :D
7) We both liked the red color and the gray interior seems to match well with it. The fit and finish was very good. The back windows are tinted which made it hard to see in at dusk and darker, this is good.

She hasn't driven this one yet but she'll be putting it through it's paces tomorrow. I'll report on her assessment afterwards as well as take some pics.

I won't be driving it no where near as much as the Mrs but I've already told her that it is definitely a step up over her sub compact buggies :D
Volfandt

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Congrats Volfandt! Does the Mrs always notice less than you do? :)

Good observations! And I must say that auto-locking doors would be a nice feature, but I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle with them. I'm used to turning on my headlights all the time, so whether I have DRLs or not doesn't really affect my driving habits -- auto-on/off headlights would have been nice though (especially since I've seen them in the Corolla and Matrix).

Enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats Volfandt! Does the Mrs always notice less than you do?
No, she generally notices everything :shock: I just don;t think she wanted me to find anyhing wrong with her ride :D

She's been out and about in it since the crack of dawn. I doubt I see her again 'till this evening :D
I did get her to let me take a few pics before she headed out.
She did call me to let me know that the CD player sounds great and that it doesn't seem much bigger than her Corolla and that she not only feels like she has better all around vision, but that she also likes how she "sits up" higher in it. Needless to say she likes her new ride :D
I just hope she'll park far enough away from those door bangers....
I posted a few pics in my album.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Congrats on the new RAV. Sounds like your wife is enjoying her new ride.
I just hope she'll park far enough away from those door bangers....
LOL! We went to Del Mar and had to park in a parking garage. Didn't have teh choice to park in an isolated spot and asked my husband to check the doors for dings before we got in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got mine last Monday, and like you say in the original post I do feel a funny little vibration or buzz in the brake pedal sometimes, I guess they all do this, otherwise everything is very solid and quiet.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Wolfandt wrote:
Just picked up a Red 06 2x4 Base and the Mrs is smile'n Very Happy
It took 1 week and 6 days to get it once we put a deposit down. They can't keep them on the lot they say.
Congrats, Wolfandt, another Barcelona red, we have quite a few of them here. You and your dealer did well by getting your choice within two weeks. :cheers:

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be a Steelers fan, now would you?? :lol:
FYI - There are at least three of us that have Barcelona reds that follow the Steelers.

OC

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red RAV

I'm more of a college football fan than pro but when it comes to pro ball my team has got to be them Titans! :D
I used to lke the 'Skins until they made some bad choices on HC's. I'm glad to see they've seen the error of their ways and brought back J. Gibbs. As for those Steelers, they're going to be a force for the next couple yrs, as long as they can keep ahold of that QB Rothslanberger :wink: :D

We've got alittle over 1400 miles on the RAV4 now and so far theres been no issues or problems at all. Unfortunately it's been tagged on the drivers door tho, probably in a parking lot somewhere. Noticed the little ding when I was washing it today.

In checking it out today, the engine oil was still clear and was right on the mark. Same for the tranny fluid and brake fluid. Even that pink rradiator fluid was right on.

Took it on it's 1st extended trip last weekend. About a 350 mile round trip to visit our daughter up at ETSU. Filled it up before we left and there was over a 1/4 tank left when we got back. Once I got the seat & steering wheel adj to me it was a nice easy ride. The little I4 has plenty of pep on the interstate and passing vehicles doing 70 was no problem. I ran it up to 90 a time or two without realizing it and there was no vibrations nor strange sounds and there was still some pedal left. 100+ is well within this vehicles power band.

The Mrs really likes this car. Her only complaint is it's fuel consumption. She went from a 35-40 mpg Corolla to a 25-30 mpg RAV4 and she feels it when she fills that almost 16 gal tank up :D The good thing is that she starts thinking about filling it up when it hits around a 1/2 tank so it doesn't take as much. On the Corolla she used to wait on the fuel light to glow its warning before she'd refuel. With her hap-hazard way of refueling I haven't got a clue as to the actual mpg it's getting. I suspect it'll be pretty close to the listed specs.

I've also read where some don't like the stock OEM sound system. Well, our hearing must be going out or something because we both think it sounds pretty good. Even with the bass turned all the way down this danged thing will "thump". I can see where some of you young-uns will be blow'n out some speakers before too long :D :D

Have a god un
Volfandt

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
Hey, you wouldn't happen to be a Steelers fan, now would you?? :lol:
FYI - There are at least three of us that have Barcelona reds that follow the Steelers.

OC
Barcelona red and a Patriot fan here, Go pats!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts