Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I'm new to this site and to owning a RAV4. I previously drove a Mazda MPV, and prior to that a Subaru Outback.

My RAV4 is a 2012 4WD Limited, 6 cyl
It is black with tan leather interior. It's very nice and I think I will really enjoy driving it. My teen daughter only cared that it had an AUX outlet... LOL.

One comment my dad made to me was that he thought I may have issues at the grocery store since the back opens out instead of up, he thinks that I won't be able to open it in a parking lot. I'm wondering if this really is an issue for anyone?

Excited to have this Toyota

Jenny

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome and enjoy your new Toyota!

My wife calls it the Refrigerator Door, but I have no issues with it and like it because you can store the full size tire on the back and have more room inside for storage. I got used to those compartments before we bought our 2016. I have less storage, but I got used to it so too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congrats Jenny & welcome from Ontario, Canada.
- v6 Limited's are awesome

Wife has the 2008 RAV4 Limited 3.5L-v6 / with rear fridge door.
My DD is a 2000 4Runner SR5 3.4L-v6 / with lift up door.

^^ We both prefer the 2006-12 RAV4 door opening operation:
- its more natural to open the rear hatch like a regular man door
- and not like a garage door, that hinges up and gets harder to reach, for shorter folks
Plus I like the looks of the full size spare tire cover, on the back / expands the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One comment my dad made to me was that he thought I may have issues at the grocery store since the back opens out instead of up, he thinks that I won't be able to open it in a parking lot. I'm wondering if this really is an issue for anyone?
Jenny[/QUOTE]

We have the V6 and love it as well,
If I'm in a situation where there's no room for the back door to open, either I'll drive forwad a bit, or just fold down a rear passenger seat and put the stuff there, or on the floor if it's only a few bags.

Ott.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Welcome!! We have two V-6 RAVs. No problems with the 5th door.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not parking lots that are a problem, it's Parallel parking on a street....hope no one parked closer then 4 feet behind you....lol

I think when the decision was made to use a full size spare, to keep a tire-disabled off-roader moving, not many places exist on a small SUV...so, someone thought rear mount....and thus, with the weight, the door had to be hinged horizontal....or smash in someone's head in a light breeze.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI, I'm new to this site and to owning a RAV4. I previously drove a Mazda MPV, and prior to that a Subaru Outback.

Jenny
Nice, I just got a cheap 2004 RAV4 myself. Previous vehicle, also a Mazda MPV. I did like that Mazda, but it ended up being quite the money pit! :)

Hope your Toyota works out for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts