Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 PRIME XSE Plug in Premium
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy to me, to just now get our VIN, ( ordered it back at the beginning of August) and it's a 21 model year. We get to own this vehicle for about a month in 2021 by the time it arrives from Aichi in Japan. My mind says i should be getting a 2022 model year this late in 21! When we go to trade3 in in a few years we are lost a year in value already...... Or am i wrong thinking this?

Comments appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Trail TRD
66 Posts
I personally would have pushed to get a 2022 model, specially if you ordered in Aug
New model years usually come out in Sept so the dealer should have knows this and informed you

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
343 Posts
Did you actually put in a custom order? Or did you just give the dealer a deposit to find and reserve one that matched what you were looking for?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you actually put in a custom order? Or did you just give the dealer a deposit to find and reserve one that matched what you were looking for?
The dealer we used had one allocated to arrive in 6-8 weeks they told us. It was exactly the spec we wanted. We even received a vin. Then today we get the email stating we are getting another permanent vin and we have to wait an additional 6-8 weeks now. Its like, at this point, we will get to drive a 21 model year for a month before its deemed a year old :(

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Trail TRD
66 Posts
No deposit was given and I took one they had coming in that was fully loaded. But to get back to my point if you placed your order in Mid August they must have known it would take a few weeks if not months to arrive which would have put you in the predicament your currently in. Either they knew and wanted to move a 2020 very late in the year for full MSRP.
At this point not sure their is much you could do seeing that they already gave you the VIN

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
343 Posts
The dealer we used had one allocated to arrive in 6-8 weeks they told us. It was exactly the spec we wanted. We even received a vin. Then today we get the email stating we are getting another permanent vin and we have to wait an additional 6-8 weeks now. Its like, at this point, we will get to drive a 21 model year for a month before its deemed a year old :(
Did you put a deposit on the first one? Why isn't that one available anymore if they put your name on it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No deposit was given and I took one they had coming in that was fully loaded. But to get back to my point if you placed your order in Mid August they must have known it would take a few weeks if not months to arrive which would have put you in the predicament your currently in. Either they knew and wanted to move a 2020 very late in the year for full MSRP.
At this point not sure their is much you could do seeing that they already gave you the VIN
Im talking this over with the wife now. They have a healthy deposit on this 21. I really would like to see a 22 sitting in our yard.... I'll see what we can do. Thank you for the input!

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE X2
690 Posts
Crazy to me, to just now get our VIN, ( ordered it back at the beginning of August) and it's a 21 model year. We get to own this vehicle for about a month in 2021 by the time it arrives from Aichi in Japan. My mind says i should be getting a 2022 model year this late in 21! When we go to trade3 in in a few years we are lost a year in value already...... Or am i wrong thinking this?

Comments appreciated.
TVR I think you know you own this one. Knowing what you have stated, you must have received a spec sheet describing the car indicating model year and accessories. The first VIN was no doubt a temp and now getting the permanent is sop. That's how its done. If you don't want the car cancel it and wait for a 22. Pretty simple.

·
Registered
2021 R4P SE (Placed deposit, fingers crossed for delivery)
45 Posts
Personally I keep cars for several years, so I'm not as concerned about the model year. I'm currently driving a 2004 Prius, and if I had waited for the 2005, it would have still been an old car by now :).

The 2022 RAV4 might have some nice new features, but maybe they could just as easily take something away that you liked. I think in this case I'm more interested in getting the vehicle sometime this calendar year because I'm more interested in the tax credit than what model year the vehicle happens to be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TVR I think you know you own this one. Knowing what you have stated, you must have received a spec sheet describing the car indicating model year and accessories. The first VIN was no doubt a temp and now getting the permanent is sop. That's how its done. If you don't want the car cancel it and wait for a 22. Pretty simple.
We actually were given a permanent vin about 3 weeks ago. We should of received delivery by this week ( 8 weeks of waiting). Now the dealer is confused as our vehicle was changed and a second permanent vin was issued and a new delivery date of 8 weeks out again was estimated. Its like we had our vehicle taken and now another new one issued. My concern is we should have 3-4 months in 2021 to enjoy this vehicle. Now we will get weeks before its deemed a year old. THis is not a big concern till its time to sell/trade. It'll be a year older than it needs to be. Just seems like Toyota shafted us and we should of had the option this late to bump to a 22!?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally I keep cars for several years, so I'm not as concerned about the model year. I'm currently driving a 2004 Prius, and if I had waited for the 2005, it would have still been an old car by now :).

The 2022 RAV4 might have some nice new features, but maybe they could just as easily take something away that you liked. I think in this case I'm more interested in getting the vehicle sometime this calendar year because I'm more interested in the tax credit than what model year the vehicle happens to be.
Understand totally. My wife drives a lot! we will have 100K on this in 3 years. So we trade in aften. Loosing a model year i think will be a big deal for us?! But i guess my wife will make this call. I feel i would wait but its her purchase.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it's a gen change or major refresh I'd wait (no indication of that). Don't overlook the opportunity cost of waiting. Math may vary but I'm shaving at least $100/month in electric savings alone, plus the intangible value of driving a very cool new car.

IMO used cars depreciate more on mileage that model year (ignoring gen changes). If you have enough tax liability you can also probably take the '21, sell it at break even (net of rebate), if you're in line for a '22. Double dip on the credit. Used values are crazy right now. I was in the same boat, really wanting an XSE, but found a SE right away. If the XSE market loosens up I'll trade up and probably not even take a hit after credits.

So I'd go for it now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where I live, we pay an annual property tax based on the assessed value of our cars. So I'm actually really happy that I was able to get a 21 rather than a 22, as the two model years will likely be close to identical and I'd rather have the one with the lower assessed value. Of course, I also keep my cars for 10+ years so am not at all worried about trade-in value.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would make sure to verify any local incentives too (depending upon where you live). The dealer we worked with took a small deposit to put us on a waiting list then called customers in order with color/package options as they received build allocations (monthly). So once we selected a car it was months before it arrived for purchase. The first call we deferred the options then selected a car with a later build date when called the next month. In the time that passed between when the cars first offered to us arrived and when we purchased our state tax exclusion dropped from $25k to $20k. At a tax rate of 10% that means the delay cost us $500. I haven't asked but I am betting my wife may have chosen one of those first cars had she known we could have accepted $500 more in options for the same net cost.

·
Registered
701 Posts
… When we go to trade3 in in a few years we are lost a year in value already...... Or am i wrong thinking this?
MILEAGE is the BIGGEST depreciating factor.
Run a test on same model, trim, miles, just different years.
2018 Toyota (3y/o), any model, any trim level, 50,000 miles. KBB/NADA =$?
2019 Toyota (2y/o), same model as above, same trim as above, 50,000 miles. KBB/NADA = $?

If you don’t take NOW, you will likely be waiting even longer. Dang chips.
Go get the Lexus RAV4 Prime equivalent; it’ll be a 2022, but just a lot more expensive. You might be happier spending tens of thousands more; but it’s a 2022 vs a 2021.

·
Registered
2021 R4P SE (Placed deposit, fingers crossed for delivery)
45 Posts
Definitely makes a difference if you don't keep a car as long as others might. Some pointed out the difference between generations. That's a good point. In the past, car manufacturers were making changes each model year. Now most of them are keeping basically the same model for a few years and then changing to the next generation. Definitely might be good to wait if the 2022 was going to be a new generation, but it sounds like its going to be the same with just a few adjustments.

Reactions: Team Venom Racing

·
Registered
21 RAV4 XSE Hybrid Magnetic Grey
134 Posts
They don't have the 2022 models out ye

Comments appreciated.
Normally yes you should be getting a 2022 model year at this time. Right now however the car market is crazy and the 2022 models still aren't out yet. I imagine they'll start coming out sometime by the end of the year and deliveries probably will be ranging from spring to summer 2022 for the rav4 prime's.

These are the choices from what I see

1. Take delivery of the 2021 prime
2. Ask for the 2022 prime instead and wait till sometime next year to receive it
3. Look into getting the Lexus NX 2022 instead

Personally if it was me I would just take the 2021 prime. From a price point you will get a little extra trade in value when you resell the 2022 but all that time you have to wait just wouldn't be worth it in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts