Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!!

Just bought my 1998 RAV4 at the beginning of this year. It is a Manual 5-Speed with roughly 98,500 miles now. I love it to pieces! I want to make sure it last quite a while and was wondering what advice I could get from you all to keep it in tip top shape. I already got a tune-up and new tires, as well as new rear shock absorbers and a brake flush. I was told I should replace both front struts as well. Anything advice you guys could give me?

Thank you so much!

Anthony

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hey, Anthony! Welcome to The Club!:) This may be the best and most fun car to drive you have ever had! You are on the right track with what you have done already. Yes, the front struts should probably be replaced as well, especially if they are original. After having gotten new tires, an alignment is crucial to keep the tires from wearing out prematurely. Before you go, so they can do a 4 wheel alignment, get under the BACK of the car and spray a penetrating oil on the adjusting bolts so they can get them freed up. Change the transmission oil and the differential oil as well (even though Toyota doesn't mention that in their owner's manual). You had a tune up and I assume they changed the spark plugs. Otherwise: enjoy your new ride. We all LOVE our cars:kiss, especially the early versions!:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Anthony! Welcome to The Club!:) This may be the best and most fun car to drive you have ever had! You are on the right track with what you have done already. Yes, the front struts should probably be replaced as well, especially if they are original. After having gotten new tires, an alignment is crucial to keep the tires from wearing out prematurely. Before you go, so they can do a 4 wheel alignment, get under the BACK of the car and spray a penetrating oil on the adjusting bolts so they can get them freed up. Change the transmission oil and the differential oil as well (even though Toyota doesn't mention that in their owner's manual). You had a tune up and I assume they changed the spark plugs. Otherwise: enjoy your new ride. We all LOVE our cars:kiss, especially the early versions!:D

Hey Michael! Thank you so much for all of your info! I am pretty new to the car world in general(had a license for a year and a half now) and didn't know about getting the tires aligned either. I will definitely get that all done! Again thank you so much!:D

Anthony

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome.
The car will let you know whenever it needs something. Use OEM parts and you are good to go for life.
Don't forget the belts and the radiator flush.
Any pictures?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Glad to be of help! Welcome to the driving world as well! As you have found out, this Forum is a wealth of information, be you a newbe or years of experience. I have been dealing with cars since my first car: a 1961 VW sedan that I bought for $125! I was 19 then and JUST a little bit older now!:wink: And I still learn things from this site! Keep in touch and let us know what you have questions about! You might list a location as well so folks that are in your neighborhood can reach out and help locally as well. I think you also might play piano.....:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys! Thanks again for all of your help. RAV4EVER I uploaded some pics, I just watered it down a bit because the pollen out here in GA is killer! Wow Michael! That is intense, well im glad I have you experienced folks here to go down this wonderful journey in, and maybe I will play a piano tune and upload it while in my RAV when I have a chance :smile About to hit 99k miles!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously didn't do it right the first time haha. Here are the pictures! Will upload more when I have a chance too, maybe after my friend helps me do a full detail!

Anthony

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts