Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've used K&N's in the past, but from the many tests I've seen recently, there is NO performance gain to be had with their panel filter.

Save your money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm actually waiting for their cold air intake which would have to be specially made for the RAV4. Though it most likely won't add significantly to performance, just that sound it makes and the perceived increase in throttle response might be attractive.

Then again, throttle response with the V6 is already pretty excellent as it is!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There have been reports regarding the oil used on the K&N filter causing problems with the MAP sensor on some vehicles.

One point to remember is that cars now days are computers on wheels. Any changes made must take into account any adverse conditions to computer programs built into this network

Multplex Network

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the information, I am going to forego the opportunity to spend money that doesn't improve performance and screws up the computer just to sound faster.

·
Registered
458 Posts
summerwind said:
There have been reports regarding the oil used on the K&N filter causing problems with the MAP sensor on some vehicles.
When cleaned properly and re-oiled as directed you shouldn't have any problems. My old car had over 160 thousand miles on its K&N and trouble free. It's when these non-grearheads :doh: over oil the filter is when you have sensor problems. I used the aerosol charger kit vs. the squeeze bottle. Reapplying the recharged oil is as easy as using a can of spray paint. :thumbs_up:

RAVitUP :mrgreen: -AND-

R

·
0 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
Ummm, maybe a bit more than that, been driving legally since 1963. :D
The reference to your legal driving tenure brought back a fond and funny memory of my dad telling me how he got his license, back in the '30s in Kansas. His dad let him drive on and around the farm, and after he figured he had had enough practice, he took him down to the county clerk, who greeted my grandfather: "Hi, Luther; what can I do for you today?" "I'm here to get a drivin' license for the boy." "Does he drive good?" "Yup." "OK, that'll be fifteen dollars."

I'm not making this up!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to look into a Green Filter, they're a litte more expensive than the K&Ns, but filter better, flow better, and have more solid construction. I'm not sure if they make one for the Avalon yet, though...

DJ

P

·
0 Posts
I just like K&N so I don't have to change the filter so often. I have used a K&N drop-in in my 2002 Tundra and have 330,000+ miles on it. I put 7,000 miles a month on my vehicles. At that rate I would go through a stock filter every 2 months. Vs. recharging once a year. I'll take K&N any day.

N

·
0 Posts
Around here, NY/NJ/CT tri-state area, My air filter needs a change every 12-15000 miles. The K&N filter is a one time minor investment that pays for itself after the second cleaning. It saves me the cost of repeatedly buying new clean disposable air filters for my current Honda Element at $35-40 ea. X 8-10 lifetime changes=$400-K&N($50-$60 one time cost)=

=$330-$350 lifetime air filter costs

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nat said:
Around here, NY/NJ/CT tri-state area, My air filter needs a change every 12-15000 miles. The K&N filter is a one time minor investment that pays for itself after the second cleaning. It saves me the cost of repeatedly buying new clean disposable air filters for my current Honda Element at $35-40 ea. X 8-10 lifetime changes=$400-K&N($50-$60 one time cost)=

=$330-$350 lifetime air filter costs
yep... that's why i change all my car's air filter to K&N or TRD filters.. it will save me lots of money in the long run..

in case no body noticed.. i have K&N on my RAV4 V6 now... :)
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4623

1 - 17 of 17 Posts