Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a K&N filter in my 2001 Rav4... It was time to replace the filter anyway. I am not fantasizing bout huge HP gains..but i was wondering... the stock intake points down probably in the hope that it will catch "some" cold air...

Has anybody replaced the stock rubber hose with something else and pointed it STRAIGHT where cold air will be rammed in ( i'm sure not really "rammed" but at least the air temp will be lower)

anybody?

·
Registered
682 Posts
run a plastic pipe from the air filter box down to the plastic engine splash shield. In the engine splash shield cut a hole that will accomodate a speaker port. Attach the speaker port to the splash shield with some nuts and bolts. The pipe should be running from the air filter box to the speaker port in the splash shield which will get colder from down low (outside the car) and transport it to the filter. A nice and easy cold air intake mod using your stock air box :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K&N reset and extension

Mohit. thanks for your tips about resetting the ecu and extending the air box pipe.

A couple of follow up questions:

1) Where is the ECU fuse? sorry :)

2) If you run the piping all the way down to the splash shield... how is the air going to get all the way to the airbox? Wouldn't it be better to run a pipe straight out to the top of the hood? that way it travels a shorter distance to the airbox. i may be wrong, but i find it difficult to believe that cold air from the splash guard will ever make it to the airbox. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hey guys. I havent done this mod on a 4.2 as i own a 4.1 but have done a similar mod on my 4.1. I replaced the stock air box with a shielded pod filter but the principles of running a pipe from down low up to the air filter are the same so it doesn't matter what sort of car you have.

Running the pipe from down low won't affect the engine in a bad way and the air going up the pipe will definitely reach the throttle body and the engine as when you depress the gas pedal you are opening up the butterfly valve in the throttle body and sucking air into the engine (like a vacuum).

Here are some pics of the cold air intake mod done to my rav. In the 1st pic you can see the blue pipe leading all the way down to the bottom of the engine bay...and in the 2nd pic u can see the speaker port installed in the splash shield covered in mesh to keep leaves and other debris out. BTW, not sure where the ECU fuse is in the 4.2 but in most cars it should be in the fuse or relay box located in the engine bay. It would also state where the ECU fuse is in the car's owner's manual :)

A

·
0 Posts
Assume you don't drive through much standing water looking at how low the intake is - we sometimes get floods in my area and I like the idea of the higher standard intake.
Neat way of modding for CAI if you live in a dry climate though - nice one.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks guys glad u liked it. The blue pipe i got from Derek but it can be bought off the internet. I don't have to worry about floods coz that never happens here in Melbourne...but it freakishly did one time a few months ago. The water level was just under the air intake point in the splash shield so i just unclamped the blue silicone elbow from the shielded pod filter and tucked it to the side. This way way the filter still got air but not from down low where the water was so high. The same can be done with the 4.2...just unclamp the pipe running up to the air filter box if you have to drive thru deep water. Just remember to always carry a screw driver in the car! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts