Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since a good K&N filter debate. Lot of miles driven since then. What's your scoop as of late?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had mine on for almost 50K miles before I replaced it with a stock Toyota filter for the winter. I really didn't notice much of a performance difference between the two, except the K&N was slightly louder. I took out the K&N because it was cheaper for me to use a new Toyota filter I had in my closet instead of buying another cleaning kit for the K&N.

There are pros and cons of using a K&N filter, and neither one outweighs the other enough to make a difference.

Here are a couple existing debates on the K&N filter:
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=5210&highlight=air+filter
http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65319

·
Registered
682 Posts
Having used the stock panel filter, K&N panel filter and K&N type pod filter i can safely say that K&N/K&N type filters are much better than the stock one. Cost, performance and fuel consumption wise.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'll let you know how I feel about the k&N filter soon as it comes in. Placed an order with Brandsport so it'll take a few days. Also ordered the TRD thermostat for the 1azfe engine which will take about 12 weeks according to Brandsport to arrive. Man, that's a long wait.

·
Registered
76 Posts
after 4,000 miles with k&n in a 2002 rav4 L mostly interstate

hi guys after 4,000 miles my k&n filter i took it out to see the filter box and it was as clean as washed china ware........ :thumbs_up:

k&n rrrooocks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I had a CAI with a conical K&N for a long time and the car ran great.

Switched back to a stock box and paper filter and performance-wise there wasn't much difference. The car wasn't as loud, which was a good thing.

I felt a 2.5 inch diameter full-length exhaust and the correct tire pressure did a lot more for performance than a Cold Air intake.

Either way I've used, cleaned and re-oiled filters on my RAV, a Volvo with the T5 and a Dodge Ram with an 8.0 L V10 and they all worked great, no downside.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got a K & N Typhoon intake and the difference is night and day in the high RPM range. I have put on about 2K miles since I installed it and everythings great so far!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Like eguy said, the bigger difference is at high rpms. There isn't really a huge difference in performance unless you have a whole cold air intake and larger , better flowing exhaust.

When I went back to paper it wasn't much of a difference if any at all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts