Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Tacoma too and have been poking around some Tacoma forums and learned that K&N's filter (and other re-useable types)sometimes cause dirty sensors in the intake leading to poor performance and less MPG.

Anyone else experience less performance with their aftermarket filter ?

·
Registered
682 Posts
If the filter is over oiled it can cause problems with the MAF sensor but 4.1s don't have this i believe as all they have is an IAT sensor. I've been using a re-oilable filter of one type or another for a few years now in my 4.1 without any problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, that oil really needs to be dry before you run the car. What I do is to have a paper filter on hand and use that for about a day until the servicable filter is completly dry. A full day may be an overkill.....but you get the idea.

·
Registered
881 Posts
bfh48 said:
I have a K&N filter for my 2000 RAV4 and was just wondering how many miles till I have to clean and reoil it?
It varies, you can tell it's dirty just by looking at it. Usually it gets dirty only on the intake side, so you can rotate it 180 degress and let it go until that side gets dirty too before you clean it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts