Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a K&N air filter? Do you like it or hate it? Did it make the gas mileage go down?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I've got a 4.1 RAV, and the gas savings aren't huge by any meens. However, the K&N does last forever, and is overall a better filter. Bottom line, in the long run, it's cheaper and more effective to get a K&N than to stick with a conventional filter. I recomend it to anyone, with any ride.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it will most deiniftely last longer than stock cos it can be washed and re-oiled. The stock ones will have to be thrown away when they get dirty.

But yeah, the savings are apparent on the longer run...

have a read here http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We put a K&N air filter in our 1993 Corolla after we purchased it. After 154,000 miles, we are still using the same K&N filter (and still driving the car!)
I'll be getting one for my RAV when the OEM one needs to be replaced.

Also, I also put a K&N air filter in my 1999 Honda CBR600 (motorcycle) and gained about 2-3hp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Next service interval was due for a replacement airfilter as well as the pollen filter. So I changed these - clean air for me and clean air for the car! It does seem to help when Scrambling off at roundabouts, especially during the rush hour. I have no idea how long it takes the car to adjust itself for the extra airflow - it drives, so i guess its adjusted itself! Ive no idea if it makes any difference on the motorway, but hey - k&n claim its a good filter and so far, it seems fine. Feels like im driving with optimax, when using standard unleaded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The K&N drop-in filter is more for extended use with minimal maintenance - better job at trapping the dirt with the oil... I wouldn't expect to see any major performance increase from it. The restriction is the resonator box/pipe, once that's removed that's where the K&N drop-in will be beneficial.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The only thing that worries me about the K&N filter is the possbility that oil from the filter can damage the MAF sensor, which is expensive to replace.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jeff said:
The only thing that worries me about the K&N filter is the possbility that oil from the filter can damage the MAF sensor, which is expensive to replace.
Same here.

Never bought into the hype about "lifetime air filter". When the local stores have their Purolater panel filters on sale, I always grab an armful. Change them as often as oil change. Cheap but effective at keeping a clean intake. Would take a lot of Purolaters to equal the cost of a K&N. Plus my intake is fed by clean dry "paper", vs. oil molecules.

JMHO

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Jamal said:
Is anyone using a K&N air filter? Do you like it or hate it? Did it make the gas mileage go down?
It all depends which one you use. If you use the OEM filter, which goes into an OEM air box. It will make power after 4,000 RPM more or less. You will feel the engine pulling harder at high RPM with a little distinctive sound. The funnel kit, which is a little more expensive. But it gives more power along the entire power ban. Gas mileage, well that depends how heavy is your right foot. :wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very interesting...

This is a bit off topic but I found it very interesting. When I bought my 05 RAV4 I asked if I could get my oil changes done at any licensed mechanic without voiding the warranty. I was told that I could but that I had to use Toyota oil filters or my warranty would be voided. The following article that I found from the K&N website seems to explain that by law, it can't void the warranty. I was just wondering if this is true or if there's exceptions to this law before I go and ask my salesman about it. Here's the site:

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

Thanks,

Dre

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks..

Thanks I'll definately check with my salesman to see what that was about.

I'm in Moncton. You missed a hell of a concert man. The Rolling Stones, The Hip, and Our Lady Peace played in front of about 80000 people here last weekend. It was incredible!

Dre

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Very interesting...

Dre said:
This is a bit off topic but I found it very interesting. When I bought my 05 RAV4 I asked if I could get my oil changes done at any licensed mechanic without voiding the warranty. I was told that I could but that I had to use Toyota oil filters or my warranty would be voided. The following article that I found from the K&N website seems to explain that by law, it can't void the warranty. I was just wondering if this is true or if there's exceptions to this law before I go and ask my salesman about it. Here's the site:

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

Thanks,
Dre
IIRC, there is something called the Magnuson-Ferguson Act - or something real close to this - that basically states that as long as the mod complies with the mfg'rs specs, the mfg'r can not wiggle out of product support.

But... GM has posted some TSBs on the topic of oiled air filters causing damage to MAF/intake parts, and to disallow any claims relating to intake damage where oiled air filters have been used. They may be able to get away with that - provided they specified that oiled air filters are forbidden. If they didn't specify, I don't know how they can take such a warranty denial claim.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put a K&N insert on my V6 Nissan Frontier and found NO statistical difference in gas mileage... I considered it a waste of money and replaced it with a standard filter rather than going to the trouble of washing and re-oiling (it's somewhere in the garage now).

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
As they say, Paper will hold anything you write on it. Seriously, I’ve had rotary engines, Chevy engines, Honda engines and Toyota engines. In Rallies, Solo 1 and in Drag Racing. All of them have seen K&N filters. Without a doubt. The K&N filter is the best filter on the market. Imitations, plenty. The real deal, K&N. I'm not talking of what I read; I'm talking about personal experience in street and racing. Others might say some other stuff. That is your right. Me, leave me with my K&N filter anytime. You can feel the diffrence when you step on the throttle.

http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0409_kn/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts