Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I cant justify the cost of K&N given the fact there are too many that say it doesnt offer anything other than long life. So I chose a FRAM air filter instead of K&N and OEM Toyota. I like the rubber seal it has and the cost is less($8 less) than a OEM Toyota. My RAV sounds much better than when the OEM is in. Perhaps the OEM is more restrictive to make it last longer? Anyway so far so good. I havent heard of any major issues with normal FRAM air filters so I am giving it a try.

I cant find any other filter brand available for the RAV other than OEM toyota, FRAM or K&N. Most just buy OEM toyota so I guess noone stocks others.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
K&N

I'm using the K&N 33-2216 Air Filter ($29) and the K&N Oil Filters ($9). I am getting about 24-25 mpg on my 2005. The air filter fits perfectly. These are good filters, and will flow more air than a paper, especially when they get older. You might get 2-3% more Horsepower at the top end - hardly noticable.

Just watch over oiling it, as it caused the sensor wire on my 4Runner to get coated with oil and break - at least that's what the dealer told me. They hate to see a K&N Filter for that reason. I think I will just get a new one, rather than trying to clean and reoil it at about 25K miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Air Filter Test

parkwaycruiser said:
Air Filter Test:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Conclusion of the Air Filter test...

"...the K&N is hands down the best filter."
Actually, the entire article needs to be read to complete the picture and put that statement into its true context.

The ability for a K&N to pass MORE air flow than other filters is well known, no doubt about it. But...

the other function of the filter is to FILTER the air - which K&N falls short on in nearly every single website I have ever seen that debated and tested the K&N.

Dirt (and oiled dirt at that) can damage an intake in the long run.

Before plunking down the K&N cash, read everything you can about the K&N.

No one debates that it's a fine filter for a race car where air flow is important, but overall a lousy filter in a work-a-day street car where longevity from filtered airflow is desired.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i think i thought too long and hard and researched way too much about this topic. Basically get it or stop thinking about it is my suggestion. If you don't like it, suck it up. Sell it to one of us or give it to another rav4 person.

·
Registered
87 Posts
machman said:
...I read it on the internet, it must be true...
Well, in the absence of an unbiased authority such as Consumers Reports (vs K&N's own website) testing out air filters, then "other folks" experiences are all we have to go by.

Perhaps a RAV-driver who just acquired a K&N will do a test for us.

1. Clean the throttle-body as clean as possible, save the rags in a baggie for later reference.
2. Install K&N as per instructions.
3. Drive as usual for 3 mos.
4. Repeat Step 1 and compare rags from original cleaning.

Before and after pics - as the one bloke did on his site - would be helpful to all.

If "other peoples" experiences are to be believed, rags will either be:
A) filthier than before installing the K&N, or
B) as clean/cleaner than before the K&N.

Either way, at least that "K&N tester" will now have his own experience to go by.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do what feels right. I personally don't like washable filters for the fact that you increase particles entering the engine to increase airflow. You can't break the laws of physics... all you do is to change the balance between the 2 variables.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts