Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well complaint #2 for Maplewood Toyota in MN. Firstly they misrepresented themselves about my 6 CD in dash player which is only a single, and the dealer says, well you did not specify. Now the leather is causing me some heartburn. During the discussion I had with them, they agreed that Katskin aftermarket leather was what I should go with. I asked them repeatedly, are only the seating surfaces leather, or are the entire seats made from leather. First response was yes, they are ALL leather, and that they would confirm. They confirmed it, YES they are all leather. I take delivery and am a little skeptical of the feel of the leather in places.

I decide to put in the car seat this weekend and I find nothing but vinyl in the back. Then I can actually see the differences in tones between the seating surfaces and the rest of the seats on the front seats, but cannot tell on the rear seats. I actually think the rears are ALL vinyl.

If these seats were not all leather, I would not have purchased this $1100 option for them to use automotive concepts to install Katskin. I was told by two sale persons and a sales manager that they were all leather, and now this. I have not had a very good experience at all with this. I am beginning to think that I spent 30k plus, and have gotten screwed. I am extremely unhappy with this scenario, and the whole experience has been something that would make me reconsider going with Toyota again. I have no doubt the dealer will pull the same crap they did with the CD player. Before I call them, any suggestions to an approach?

P

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pains. I have a suggestion, but, unfotunately it is only for next time around.

If you don't find it too burdensome, I think that using email to negotiate a deal and ask questions works very well. This way you have everything in writing. I specifically ask dealers to email me instead of calling.

Again, sorry this doesn't help you now, but thought it might help you or others in the future.

Good luck.

T

·
0 Posts
I too ordered Katskin leather. When the installer ordered the material, Katskins had a special on upgraded leather for $50.00. The installer went ahead and ordered the upgrade at no additioal charge to me. The upgraded leather is in the center seating areas only. It is very soft and plush with no grain. I also ordered this area perforated.( Very nice upgrade!!) The remainder of the seats are a coarser leather with more grain. There are also two door insert panels that are of the coarse leather. I Looked these seats over really well when I took delivery and I am almost certain that they are a 100% leather. People can not believe that they are not factory seats. The installer even put the control buttons for the heated seats on the panels by the cup holders where the factory installed units go. All of the other aftermarket warmer controls that I have seen were mounted on the side of the seat. I am very happy!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yup, I'm not surprised! Dealers may have misled many customers seeking aftermarket leather. BTW if they sent you there or took the car there no doubt they got a commission as well. Surprise. I went directly to the source, (Katskin) and amost $1,500 bucks later I know exactly what I got. Really not much! Only seating surfaces are real leather, side areas and door panels FAUX leather! But at least they told me that upfront, perforated w/ a darker gray piping, no heated seats though. Prabably won't get that back either upon resale.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Two previous vehicles I owned had factory leather, and the sides and backs were not leather as well. I knew this when I ordered though. When the option says leather "trimmed" seats, that is what you are going to get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understood the ramifications of leather trimmed, and that was the reason I specifically asked if the entire seat was leather or jsut the seating surfaces. I asked them multiple times, one salesperson had to confirm it, which they did, and now I have something I never had any intention of purchasing. I know, I know it's heresay on who's right.

I am just wondering if there is any leverage I could have with the dealer? I mean I would prefer to get my original covers back and get a refund of $1100 plus tax and get this done somewhere else. Now also get this, the dealer ordered the color without me having ANY say in the color. He said it would be the best match to the interior and that's it. I never even got to look at a match book to see for myself ahead of time what the color would look like. It was never explained fully, and even though I asked many times about what part of the seat was leather, fact is the dealer lied! I paid for ALL leather no plastic was ever spoken about!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Even the seats on a Lexus has vinyl in the back. Vinyl is more durable and is a better material for areas that gets abuse. I have learn a long time ago not to trust any car salesman. Do the research yourself and check and double check.

Good Luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
GSX4 said:
I know, I know it's heresay on who's right.

I am just wondering if there is any leverage I could have with the dealer?
Actually it isn't heasay because you are the actual victim here. Doesn't sound to good for you. Even w/ small claims action it would be " he said, she said" you'd never prevail. Caveat emptor, buyer beware. UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN WRITING. Two witnesses would be nice too. No family members or very, very close friends either. Other than never doing business w/ the dealer again, not much my friend. You could file a complaint w/ the BBB.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It sounds like you have a tough situation. $1100 for leather trimmed seats seems to be about the right price to me. I paid roughly $1000 for factory ones on my previous vehicles. To literally have "all leather" seats would cost so much no one would order them. I dont necessarily think you got screwed for what you got. The stealership just set your expectations too high, by lying to you. But trust me, there is no-one else driving around with "all leather" seats that they paid $1100 for.

Now if the back ones are vinyl, and the leather is poor quality that you are not happy with, that is a different story. Im assuming that there is some warranty with them? I would take that route if you dont like them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Flying, thanks for the input about the factory leather only being partial. I thought it looked a little different when I checked out the only L with leather I have seen in 4 months!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My dealer told me that Toyota provides 36 month warranty on aftermarket leather if done via the dealer. Check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts