Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm trying to purchase kayak roof carriers for my two 10' kayaks. I have purchased the cheapest J style rack dual set on Amazon but it terribly fits to my factory oval style crossbars (2010 RAV4). Any suggestions how I should transport these kayaks? Looking to save money. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Can you stack the kayaks. Set the cross bars as far apart as you can. Then put them one the cross bars, and ratchet strap them down. Then insert the towing eye into the front bumper and tie it down. In the rear tie the boats down to a trailer hitch, a 2nd tow eye (which you will need to buy), or the center jack lug. Though with 10' kayaks you probably don't need to tie the rear down, or even the front for that matter.

I haul my single 10" kayak around in this manner all the time. No tip or tail tie down. Just 2 ratcheting straps. Like this picture but without the tip tie down. I would NEVER tie to the hood. The kayak pictured is longer than 10'

Stacked like this. Those look more like 10 footers

Make sure you strap the boats down like this. Around both cross bars and over twice, on each bar. The extra lashing in the picture is just the extra webbing being tied up.

The "REAL" way to use those "J" racks is to get straight cross bars. The curve of the cross bars are the problem. And they are very short. But you are adding a lot of cost getting the aftermarket cross bar attachments.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
My wife 09 Outback has factory cross bars and she puts 2 kayaks on her vehicle with the j style racks. Her crossbars are wide and very flat unlike the curve shaped ones like the RAV. The 2 kayaks stays on very securely and after 3 years I feel confident riding with those kayaks on the roof.

So Evan, just buy flat wide aftermarket cross bars on Ebay. :smile

Example $43 & free shipping - 53 inch cross bar, 130lb capacity, lockable: Blk Aluminum 53" Oval Roof Rack Rail Cross Bars Clamps Car Wagon SUV Carrier S2 | eBay

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought the Kayak hauling kit from Academy Sports to haul my tandem kayak. The pads don't fit too well but my 16' Kayak is very easy to haul on long trips with no movement at all. I have two tow hooks on the front and a trailer hitch in back to tie off and I will say the factory luggage rack on my 2012 Base Rav4 is very well made and handles heavy duty chores with ease. I'm in the construction business and have hauled all sorts of large heavy things on the roof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts