Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im beginning to think my dear ol Rav doesnt like me any more.
After sitting her for 2 years, In the last 3 weeks I have:

Installed new wires and plugs to NGK iridiums (bad idle immediately went away)
changed oil and flushed
cleaned entire fuel system
replaced clutch
replaced drivers side stabilizer link

finally thought all was finished as the RAV runs great and feels brand new! Until this morning.
Wouldnt start, noticed the dome and EFI fuses were blown. Changed them. Both blew again instantly. Disconnected battery, installed fuses, reconnected battery. Both blew again!!! Cant start without the EFI fuse in.
?????????
Electrical is beyond me....

·
Registered
881 Posts
privatedog said:
Im beginning to think my dear ol RAV doesnt like me any more.
After sitting her for 2 years, In the last 3 weeks I have:

Installed new wires and plugs to NGK iridiums (bad idle immediately went away)
changed oil and flushed
cleaned entire fuel system
replaced clutch
replaced drivers side stabilizer link

finally thought all was finished as the RAV runs great and feels brand new! Until this morning.
Wouldnt start, noticed the dome and EFI fuses were blown. Changed them. Both blew again instantly. Disconnected battery, installed fuses, reconnected battery. Both blew again!!! Cant start without the EFI fuse in.
?????????
Electrical is beyond me....
Obviously you have a short somewhere, you will probably have to pull the fuse box and trace the wire harness until you find soemthing chafed, burned or with a screw driven through it :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
That's what you get for leaving her sit :twisted: Nah just kidding 8) A short is more than likely the culprit. I've also had problems where rust inside the unit (ie. cig lighter) caused the same thing. But that was on a rotten chevy. But just another thought, since it's been sitting for a while.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because it is the EFI fuse and Dome light fuse that keep blowing does that mean it HAS to have something to do with either? Or could it be completely unrelated, like the stereo or something.
The thing I dont get is that it worked fine until trying to start this morning. Even after installing new fuses I heard it blow the second I connected the battery. So....its instantaneous!

Also - I had the battery in and out of the car for various reasons over the last couple weeks. Could there be some connection problem there that would cause the fuses to blow?

·
Registered
432 Posts
It does not have to be either. There could actually be many things hooked to the same circuit. Is there anything else that does not work since the fuse tripped?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Kelly - first thing I checked, as I too....ahem....have done that "once"! ;-)

I took out all my 15A fuses and inspected, then I placed a new one in the EFI slot and the car started up no problem. Turned it off and replaced all remaining fuses and the car still starts up great but the following are NOT working:

Interior lights
Dash (including RPM)
CD
turn signals
emergency lights
brake lights
horn

Thats all I can find so far. So basically, cant drive it without the brakes and signals working. Could it be a relay? Or a main? Saw them in the engine bay fuse box but left them alone. Didnt want to touch what I was ignorant about ;-)
Lastly - could a short have turned this into a computer issue?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just a thought, if your cd player isn't working, and if the radio isn't either, try disconnecting it from main harness behind stereo (and leave it disconnected) and then replace the fuse again. My thought is that its the only accessory powered on startup, of the items listed. So that could be it.
:idea: Another thought, take out the dome light bulb first and try it without that, just in case. :D Don't want to tear apart the dash for no reason 8) . Remeber there is a front and rear bulb. I've seen this as a culprit in many american cars. I'll keep thinking.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dnylrq,

Thanks for the help thus far! :)
Bulbs made no difference so I disconnected the wiring harness from the back of the cd/radio and now the dome lights, hazard lights and open door symbol on the instrument panel work again. However, the following are still not functioning :evil: :

Heater/fan
intrument panel lights and rpm (other gauges too I believe)
signal lights (even though the hazards work)
brake lights
wipers/wash/rear defrost
cig. lighter (not that I need that)

I pulled every fuse I could find under the dash and in the engine bay but all look fine. All that is left are the "relays" in the engine bay, but Im oblivious to thier functionality! :?

·
Registered
881 Posts
privatedog said:
dnylrq,

Thanks for the help thus far! :)
Bulbs made no difference so I disconnected the wiring harness from the back of the cd/radio and now the dome lights, hazard lights and open door symbol on the instrument panel work again. However, the following are still not functioning :evil: :

Heater/fan
intrument panel lights and rpm (other gauges too I believe)
signal lights (even though the hazards work)
brake lights
wipers/wash/rear defrost
cig. lighter (not that I need that)

I pulled every fuse I could find under the dash and in the engine bay but all look fine. All that is left are the "relays" in the engine bay, but Im oblivious to thier functionality! :?
Did you check the fuses under the dash?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep - all fuses checked under dash and in engine bay. Still scratchin my head. :?

·
Registered
432 Posts
well, I would say it would have something to do with the relays. If you look under the cap of the relay cover it will tell you which relays go to what, only vaguely though. There are some relay boxes you may not have seen. There is the one next to the fuse box (interior) There is also one on either side of the vehicle, behind the front side kick panel. On the driver's side next to the dead pedal. It only has one nut you remove by hand to access it, although you may have to remove some other plastic moulding around the bottom of the door.
I should suspect that if you can find one that looks like the culprit, you should be able to have it tested at a mechanic shop of something. Still thinkin' :?:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found something!!! - although I dont know why it would have blown. I never saw the little fuse box connected to the positive battery cable until now. The 100A fuse is clearly blown but I havent a clue how to remove it. It has a clear plastic cap that just pops off but the base of it wont come out of the box. Big square fuse comparred to the little minis.....sooooo..... :roll: I dont know how to get it out. Do I need a special tool? It looks like it will break to peices if I try to pry it out.

All this aside - it blew for some reason.....to be determined at a later date!

Thanks for your help so far! I appreciate your brain on this!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its called a Fuse element (found it online) in case I confused the issue. Still cant figure out how to pull it. I am leary about breaking it, but if its just supposed to pull out I will tug away! :twisted:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok, the fusible link. My haynes book says it should just pull out and then replace it with one of the same amperage. I could tell ya more if my factory manual had arrived by now. Hopefully, it won't blow when you install the new one. If it does you are :roll:
Then you would be going gremlin hunting :x

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah - got it out - doesnt just pull out. The element was screwed in, had to take the nuts off. Didnt see it at first but the sides came of this little fuse box to enable you to unscrew. Im thinking I will have to get a new manual (lost it somewhere!!!!!) and perhaps the haynes as well. I keep 'tinkerin'...

I will definitely be crossing my fingers and anything else I can find when I put the new one in.

What would u recommend? I will leave the stereo disconnected for now, but should I disconnect anything else too prior to putting the new element in? The stereo is the only accessory. But power goes to the interior bulbs, door chime, open door light etc. right away so Im not sure if anything trippy is going on there!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd say just leave the stereo undone for now. If all goes well, then connect it and hope for the best. If it blows after you hook up the stereo, then that is probably the culprit. But let's see what happens first.
In case you did not connect the battery cable incorrectly, I would suggest cleaning your battery posts and cables (maybe even the top of the battery) prior to the new installation of the fusible link, just to make sure there is not some type of bad ground. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kelly Smith said:
That's the SAME fuse that blew on mine when I hooked my battery up BACKWARDS :roll:
I ran out to the RAV just now to check AGAIN...but its all hooked up right! Kelly you got me jittery!!! :) Ive done that before on my old Jetta.

---

Good idea about giving the battery a good cleaning. I will brush it etc. Because it did sit for a long time.
Looks OK but....what do I know????

thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SHE'S ALIVE!!!

Everything seems to work great. All lights, everything.

However, I checked all the wiring on the stereo and it all looked good, with good connections. Plugged it back in, started the car and it blew again. SO....disconnected stereo, all works fine.
I bought a new wiring harness for the stereo as well just to be sure. But no help. Could it be the unit itself that is causing the fuse to blow? Do u know where the ground for the stereo disappears to? Couldn't find where it went to check the connection. Could be deep within the bowels....sooo....

But at least I got this far!
Main concern is how this could cause the 100A fusible link to go. Do I just have an electric personality?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts