Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Good to see we've gotten this far. I'm looking at the haynes book and it says that the ground is a brown wire from the loom coming out of the stereo. It should be on one of the far sides of the loom as well. So you'll have to see what color wire is on the other side of the loom where the ground connects and follow it. Make sure the wire is good.
I suppose that it is possible that the stereo is causing it to blow, but I myself have never seen this to be the case. But don't rule it out.
Hope it helps. :)
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Its got to be the ground OR the unit itself because wiring looks good. I even replaced the plug n play wiring harness. I will have to dig deep to find where that ground ends up - pretty tight in there. I suppose I could create a new ground - right? If I find somewhere good to stick it.

thanks again
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
privatedog said:
I suppose I could create a new ground - right? If I find somewhere good to stick it.

thanks again
Grab a multimeter and run it across the +12V from the wiring harness of your deck to any exposed metal bit on your chassis..... if from that you will know if the thingis short circuited or not.....

do this without your battery connected so that you dont blow your fuse again!

Does the fusible link SHORT when as soon as you connect the battery or when you turn the key on the ignition?

and YES you can wire in a new ground no worries, just find the closest exposed nut connected to the chasis and get a correct sized wiring lug and crimp it on and screw it in.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey Praveen
When I put in the new fusible link all worked well until I put the stereo back in. It was when I turned the key that it blew again - including the radio /cig fuse and the EFI fuse. Took out the radio, replaced all blown fuses...AGAIN...and it works fine. So I would think it is clearly the stereo unit itself or the ground to the stereo unit. When it happened the very first time my wife was starting the car and she said that she heard the stereo come on for a half second before everything blew. I will have to get a multimeter and do as u suggested. But im also thinking a new ground wouldn't hurt.
Thanks everyone!
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've had this same fuse blow on me intermittantly for over a year and after reading this post I finally have it fixed! When the fuse first started blowing I had assumed it was caused by a burnt /shorting light socket because it would also burn the light fuse under the dash(and the dome fuse under the hood). My neighbours gave me a hand one day over a few wobbly pops and we pulled ever light and isolated every wiring harness to no avail. (one neighbour is a mechanic and the other is an electronics tech.) After a full day of troubleshooting we still hadn't found the cause but the short went away-for a while. A year later the fuse burnt on my wife on her way back from the cottage on a rough road. I started the troubleshooting again but this time narrowed it down to the stereo. This was the only thing we hadn't gotten to the first time around because the short had went away. If I disconnected the the stereo no fuses woulld blow,connect it and pow. The second time I removed the cd player i noticed a rattle in it. When I pulled the cover off I it FULL OF PENNIES!!!
I guess my kids had stuck some pennies into it and when they shook into the right place it would short out the fuse but then slide to a position that didn't. After a year of frustration it all came down to four cents in the CD player! :shock: :shock:
 
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Top