Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows how to bypass the fog lights turning off when you turn on the high beams. I have a 2014 Rav4 limited. Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
So the best place to start is the post titled "Any time fog lights SOLVED". If you do a Google Search within this forum for that post you should find it in the 4.4 Exterior forum, originally posted by c7aea on 6-9-2014. I'd post a link, but I'm too new and don't have the ability to link to other posts or post pictures...

If you follow the first half of the post (splicing the fog light switch wire to the relay wire) you'll be able to use the fog lights anytime the parking lights are on (so essentially any lighting switch position EXCEPT DRL or OFF). This will enable your fog lights to stay lit with your parking lights, low beams, or high beams.

It took me 15 minutes.

To summarize, here are the steps:

1. Remove the lower instrument panel by your hood-latch release lever (very simple - just start gently pulling the panel up from the bottom edge and the whole thing pops off - no screws or bolts)

2. Remove the lower half of your steering column cover (also simple - turn the steering wheel to 90 degrees and undo one screw - turn it back the other way to the opposite 90 degree position and undo the second screw - then gently squeeze the lower cover and free it from the tabs holding the 2 halves together)

3. Cut the white wire connected to the lower right part of the block shown in the first picture in the post listed above

4. Cut the gray wire connected to the instrument stalk on the upper left shown in the second picture in the post listed above

5. Splice a connecting wire (I used a 22 gauge wire - you just need something light) between the gray wire (coming out of the block on the instrument stalk) to the white wire (the one going to the relay - NOT the one going into the block).

6. Test the functionality and put it all back together!

Reactions: Texas Rav4

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just to note: Having more than 4 white lights on the front of your car is illegal in many states.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the best place to start is the post titled "Any time fog lights SOLVED". If you do a Google Search within this forum for that post you should find it in the 4.4 Exterior forum, originally posted by c7aea on 6-9-2014. I'd post a link, but I'm too new and don't have the ability to link to other posts or post pictures...

If you follow the first half of the post (splicing the fog light switch wire to the relay wire) you'll be able to use the fog lights anytime the parking lights are on (so essentially any lighting switch position EXCEPT DRL or OFF). This will enable your fog lights to stay lit with your parking lights, low beams, or high beams.

It took me 15 minutes.

To summarize, here are the steps:

1. Remove the lower instrument panel by your hood-latch release lever (very simple - just start gently pulling the panel up from the bottom edge and the whole thing pops off - no screws or bolts)

2. Remove the lower half of your steering column cover (also simple - turn the steering wheel to 90 degrees and undo one screw - turn it back the other way to the opposite 90 degree position and undo the second screw - then gently squeeze the lower cover and free it from the tabs holding the 2 halves together)

3. Cut the white wire connected to the lower right part of the block shown in the first picture in the post listed above

4. Cut the gray wire connected to the instrument stalk on the upper left shown in the second picture in the post listed above

5. Splice a connecting wire (I used a 22 gauge wire - you just need something light) between the gray wire (coming out of the block on the instrument stalk) to the white wire (the one going to the relay - NOT the one going into the block).

6. Test the functionality and put it all back together!
Thank you sir! I’ll try this morning, you rock.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just to note: Having more than 4 white lights on the front of your car is illegal in many states.
Yes, this is very true. So the interesting thing about the 4th gen RAV4 is that it uses a single bulb design for the high and low beam functionality. I believe it's just using a shutter to open up when the high beam is activated. If you stand in the driver's doorway with the engine off and lights on you can hear the shutter activate and deactivate when you toggle the high beam on and off. So even with the fogs activated with the high beams on, you still never actually have more than 4 white bulbs lit at any given time - if simply because there are literally only 4 white bulbs installed on the front of the vehicle (ignoring any aftermarket ones someone adds on their own).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Danwhit799 - I sent you a PM with the link to the other post. Hopefully it came through. The wires you're looking at don't quite look right. If you see the pictures from the other post, you should be able to compare the wire patterns in the blocks to be sure you're looking at the same ones...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is the correct grey wire under the steering colum.

Now I just need to figure out which to connect to. I know it?s one of these pins as my lights won?t turn on with the plug disconnected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my final guess is this white line. It?s close but still slightly different.. I can?t find the wiring diagrams online of course. Any thoughts before I cut and splice And hope? Lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm still not sure you have the right connection. You need to pull the entire lower panel off and then you'll see the different wiring blocks - it'll be very obvious which one is correct based on the images from the Anytime fog light post... You'll be able to match up the image to what you're looking at directly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm still not sure you have the right connection. You need to pull the entire lower panel off and then you'll see the different wiring blocks - it'll be very obvious which one is correct based on the images from the Anytime fog light post... You'll be able to match up the image to what you're looking at directly.
I should clarify that by panel, I'm referring to the the one that has the dash light adjustment knob installed on it. That panel is a major trim piece about 18" tall by 10" wide (total guess)... Not just the fuse panel or something like that... Hope that helps!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It?s definitely this block as my light won?t turn on with it disconnected. I pulled off all of the paneling. It may be because I have a 2014 limited.

·
Registered
236 Posts
NICE!!! Looks like it's working... I didn't realize that the earlier RAV4.4s had separate high beam bulbs. Guess that's something they changed in the mid-cycle update... Glad you got it sorted out!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I didn't realize the earlier 4.4's had separate high beam bulbs... My 2016 Hybrid has a single bulb. Good tip to be aware of!

·
Registered
236 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts