Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2010 Rav4, 4WD, 2.5 4cylinder, 140k miles. All season driving in Cleveland, OH., USA.

I noticed oil from the rear diff on the garage floor and just finished replacing the breather, pinion, oil and wheel seals myself. All gears/bearings were solid.

The wife had mentioned wanting to look at a new car this year, but while going through the diff repairs, she mentioned wanting to take this one to 200k. I said if that is what she wants, I'll try to make it happen.

So the question becomes, what can I expect or what should I be looking to do to get 60k more miles out of it?

Of course I'll be checking the owners manual for service recommendations at/around 150k miles. ?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Change everything according to the maintenance schedule. The fluids are the most important ie (trans oil, gear oil, coolant, engine oil etc). Other things worth mentioning are PCV valve, greasing slide pin on caliper and replacing brake fluid.

·
Registered
387 Posts
No reason to get rid of it until it is worn out. Ours has 300,000 on it and still drives better than most new cars.
It has a few dings and some pinch weld rust to fix, but it's a solid vehicle and there is no reason to pour money into a new one when the current one works just fine.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Should be easy to hit 200k. My 01 Solara had 400k before I sold it...still had the original engine/tranny. Was running strong too. Check the 1 million mile Corolla and Tundra on Youtube. :) Regular fluid changes and not flooring it everytime you drive will make it last.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most fluids have all been kept up with. Oil changed regularly, trans fluid changed within the last 2 years, gear lube just done. Need to check on brake fluid though, I know I havent done it anyway.

Caliper pins cleaned and regreased with every brake service.

PCV valve never addressed, but also never had reason to.

Currently looking to replace backing plates for rear brakes and maybe replace a tired rear door latch. Other than that it's pretty solid.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Need to check on brake fluid though, I know I havent done it anyway.
A quick way to do this is just use a paper towel to soak up the brake fluid in the brake reservoir. Just don't absorb too much at a time or spill since the brake fluid eats the paint finish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A quick way to do this is just use a paper towel to soak up the brake fluid in the brake reservoir. Just don't absorb too much at a time or spill since the brake fluid eats the paint finish.
Yes, brake fluid can be nasty on paint. Do you typically bleed the lines from there?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Yes, brake fluid can be nasty on paint. Do you typically bleed the lines from there?
If you bleed the brake you need to remove the bleeder valve. A lot more work and if the bleeder valve is rusted and stuck it can snap off. You can remove most of the old brake fluid from the brake reservoir but a brake flush will get more out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you bleed the brake you need to remove the bleeder valve. A lot more work and if the bleeder valve is rusted and stuck it can snap off. You can remove most of the old brake fluid from the brake reservoir but a brake flush will get more out.
The passenger rear is frozen on mine. Tried to get it off but I just decided to bleed the other 3 spots. Midwest winters are hell on vehicle undersides.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have found a few taps on the bleeder with some penetrating oil will loosen all but the most corroded.
only had one break off and that was because there was nothing left to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts