Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it. I just installed my new Double Din Kenwood receiver. I got the Double Din kit from newtoyotaparts.com and the Sirius tuner and head unit from Crutchfield. Here's how it went.

First I ran the Sirius antenna from the back of the roof down around the rear door(under the weather stripping) and into the back of the truck. I then ran it along the passenger side under any molding I could find to the front and under the dash. I got a wiring harness(also from crutchfield) and did all the wiring inside the house.

After I got the install kit I screwed the brackets right onto the radio and used double sided tape to secure the trim filler inside the trim opening(Toyota factory radios are about a half inch wider than double din radios).

Next I went to the vehicle and started my dissection. First the plastic trim pieces next to the radio were removed. This was very easy with a simple flat bladed screw driver wrapped in electrical tape. They popped right off.

Then it was onto the 10mm bolts that secure the radio. A firm tug and the radio comes cleanly out. Just disconnect the wire harnesses in back and that's done.

I ran the satellite antenna wire up through the dash(Quite a bit of room back their) and to my amazement there was a nice little shelf just below the radio where I could place the Sirius tuner. Some velcro to secure it and that was done.

I then plugged my new wire harness into the existing one and plugged the radio antenna, Sirius tuner and wire harness into the back of my new radio and slid it right in. There was plenty of room for all the wires. I just had to hold the radio up a little while tightening the screws so that it would be centered in the dash.

I then snapped the new trim cover on and the two side trim pieces and fired her up. The difference in sound quality is astounding. The entire install took about an hour. Anybody could do it.

Thanks to all the people who have posted before me that found the Double Din kit and gave me guidance.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tom_S said:
I ran the satellite antenna wire up through the dash(Quite a bit of room back their) and to my amazement there was a nice little shelf just below the radio where I could place the Sirius tuner. Some velcro to secure it and that was done.
Ya, I noticed there was ample room behind the deck to place my Sirius tuner. I placed a piece of bubble packing underneath the tuner because I'll be running (2) JL 13W7s, so the fewer the rattles, the better.

Tom_S said:
I then snapped the new trim cover on and the two side trim pieces and fired her up.
Where did you get the 2 side trim pieces? Are they included with the trim cover?

Nice install!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The two little trim pieces inside the large double din opening fill in the space between an after market radio and a factory radio. They come with the trim kit.

I was referring to the two trim pieces with the switches for 4x4 lock and hazard though.

D

·
0 Posts
Beautiful install!! I'm getting more tempted to do this by the day! Do you have steering wheel controls on your RAV? If so, do they still work for anything?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No steering wheel controls. I have the Sport and here in the Northeast you get the Six disc Non-JBL system period. Now this works good for upgrading the head unit(The wiring is simple) but no steering wheel controls. Unless someone finds a way to upgrade the steering wheel itself. More than I am willing to try for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts