Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago I bought a base 2011 4WD RAV4. I have been fixing it up to meet my standards.

So far that means major service on the car (oil, trans, filters, etc.), Toyota rubber floor mats (required for country living), and an upgraded sound system. All of my cars have stereos with bluetooth hands free calling and most have Sirius/XM satellite radio. Installing Sirius/XM on my 2000 RAV4 was a pain finding a way to route the antenna to the roof.

With the new RAV I decided that the cost difference between a fully featured and inexpensive stereo was only about $200, so I went for as stereo that did most of the things that I wanted. From Crutchfield I bought a Kenwood DDX6902S DVD receiver with HD Radio, Apple Car Play, Bluetooth phone and audio, GPS antenna and Sirius/XM ready, with Sirius/XM SXV300V1 receiver.

I read on the forum that the existing Toyota antenna on the base had a XM element which was terminated in the passenger side, cargo area wall. Based on the forum post I bought on Amazon a some what expensive connector cable to go between the Toyota connector and the Sirius/XM receiver (Shark Fin Antenna Adapter for many Toyota and Lexus vehicles: SFA12F (female connection)). June Bug has posted some great material from Toyota on the factory Sirius/XM installation which details what needs to be removed to get to the antenna.

After installing the Kenwood, using Crutchfields excellent installation guides (including taking a blank console switch plug out and drilling it out for the USB plug), I took on the antenna connection project. If you plan on doing this get a few extra Toyota panel clips, I had panel removal tools and was careful, but I still managed to break two, so word to the wise. The project was fairly easy other then taking the whole cargo area and passenger side of the car out. The SFA12F cable is almost exactly as long as needed so direct routing is improtant. The Toyota cable clips under the door thresholds were easy to add the antenna wire to. The best part of the project was tuning into the Sirius/XM band and having it work.

I like Car Play on the stereo which uses Siri to get map directions, read or send messages, make phone calls and select and play music all by voice, with maps displayed on the stereo head unit. HD radio has two streams for many local stations and I'm getting use to it. I'll be going on a two week trip to Colorado and will spend time with the new system and will have more insight when I'm back.

I have attached some photos of the install and the stereo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Nice job...I would recommended getting floor liners from husky or weather tech as they are far better than the Toyota ones...welcome to the party..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Installing Sirius/XM on my 2000 RAV4 was a pain finding a way to route the antenna to the roof.
With the new RAV I... I went for as stereo that did most of the things that I wanted... bought a Kenwood DDX6902S DVD receiver with HD Radio, Apple Car Play, Bluetooth phone and audio, GPS antenna and Sirius/XM ready, with Sirius/XM SXV300V1 receiver.
I read on the forum that the existing Toyota antenna on the base had a XM element which was terminated in the passenger side, cargo area wall. Based on the forum post I bought on Amazon a some what expensive connector cable to go between the Toyota connector and the Sirius/XM receiver (Shark Fin Antenna Adapter for many Toyota and Lexus vehicles: SFA12F (female connection))...
After installing the Kenwood, using Crutchfields excellent installation guides (including taking a blank console switch plug out and drilling it out for the USB plug), I took on the antenna connection project... The best part of the project was tuning into the Sirius/XM band and having it work.
Hillhippy, I am just starting a similar project. Like you I bought an aftermarket Kenwood unit from Crutchfield (DDX9903S) and the Sirius/XM SXV300V1 receiver; for me, primarily to get Apple CarPlay features and to upgrade to a video screen from the factory JBL unit (with built-in XM) in my 2010 Limited.
I wanted the screen for navigation using an iPhone as well as a bigger/better viewing option for my factory backup camera (currently shown in rearview mirror).
Like you, I was not looking forward to putting the new XM antenna that comes with the SXV300V1 on my roof. Also like you I tracked down the (as you said, expensive!) 'Shark Fin Antenna Adapter for many Toyota and Lexus vehicles: SFA12F (female connection)' on Amazon (Crutchfield was unaware of that product). But here is where I'm confused with your post:
So I was planning to use the 'Adapter' to allow me to connect to (behind the OEM JBL head unit) and make use of the factory wiring run from the HU to the OEM antenna. Is that what you did? So am I correct in assuming you ditched the new antenna/wire that came with the SXV300V1; connected your SXV300V1's antenna out connector to the wiring that came already connected to the adapter; left the bulk of the adapter wiring coiled up somewhere under the dash; and thereby connected to the OEM combination antenna (FM & XM) on the roof?
AND that it works... well? I noticed a warning on the Crutchfield website for the SXV300V1 ('Details') that said "Note: The SXV300 is not compatible with most factory Satellite Radio antennas. You will need to use the included SiriusXM antenna".
If this is what you did and it works well, I'm glad to hear it and will order the expensive adapter to avoid having to run a new antenna line through the car. But if this is what you did (i.e. used the existing wiring) then why did you have to take out all the panels? Wow... the answer just hit me, I guess (teach me to pay better attention): MY RAV4, with the JBL and built-in XM DID have the existing antenna wiring running from the HU to the antenna... I'm assuming yours did not, and thus you had to run the wiring to the unused connector in the rear quarter panel. Sorry if you said that clearly and it didn't register with me.
ANYWAY... what I really need to know is: So even though the warning is "The SXV300 is not compatible with most factory Satellite Radio antennas...", you found that it works just fine with the OEM antenna - yes? Did you also splice in power somewhere to the OEM antenna amplifier, or was that provided by the OEM connection behind the head unit?
Thanks for taking the time to write you stuff up and your patience with me walking thru mine :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's mostly the plug

Sorry I took so long to respond.

The warning about the Sirius/XM received not working with most OEM antennas is because OEM used a proprietary connector and Sirius/XM uses a standard micro coax connector. Why the expensive aftermarket cable is necessary is it has OEM and micro coax. The Sirius/XM received doesn't need an amplifier, functions fine connected to the OEM antenna.

My car is a base model, so the OEM antenna was terminated in the back of the car, so I had to tear it apart to route the cable. I think Crutchfield offers a short adapter cable for cars with antenna already routed to the dash, but only if you car had the SAT radio installed from the factory.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just to revive this thread a bi as I am about to replace my factory JBL HU with a Pioneer AVH-W4000NEX, I found this site which sells a slightly cheaper connector for the factory installed SAT (sirius XM) antenna... As I don't need the 12 feet of wiring the SFA12F comes with, this option below comes in 6 inch length, which is plenty for my application.

3 links depending on the connector you need...

XMM-TOY Sat. Radio Antenna Adapter Cable for Toyota, Subaru, Mazda :: Antennas, Adapters and Boosters :: Car Stereos and components
XMF-TOY Sat. Radio Antenna Adapter Cable for Toyota, Lexus, Subaru, Mazda :: Antennas, Adapters and Boosters :: Car Stereos and components
XMA-TOY Adapter cable for Toyota, Lexus, Subaru, Mazda to 3rd Party Antenna :: Antennas, Adapters and Boosters :: Car Stereos and components

1 - 5 of 5 Posts