Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Haven't had the need to post for awhile, but hope the beginning of fall is finding everyone well, and without too many car troubles:smile

Recently, my CPO 09 rav4 sport's key fob stopped working. And by that, I mean, the unlock/lock/buttons stopped functioning (haven't tried the panic one). The key still works fine in the door handle to unlock/lock the door, and also works fine in the ignition. But I now can no longer use the unlock/lock buttons.

The unlock button appears to be jammed and won't press (I took apart the key and tried pressing the little white buttons on the green switchboard, or whatever the technical name for that part is). Somehow, although the lock button does "click"/"press", nothing happens, and the little red light on the key does not illuminate. I'm assuming the panic button won't work either, based on the lock button "clicking" but not operating. It's definitely not the battery because that I recently (carefully) replaced.

What are my options here? Can I use a new button "assembly" in a key from ebay, or is the "button assembly", including the switchboard etc, all what makes my key unique to my car? Not sure if I have an immobilizer? I don't think I have a red light to the left of my steering wheel - the little hole where it would be appears to be hollow.

Suggestions/Advice/Options?

Not looking to spend a lot here, preferably. Can I go to ace/Home depot? I saw a sign at both places that they cut transponder keys for cars?

See pics, btw.

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Yes, you can replace just the little transmitter module with the switches on it. Get a used key off Ebay and swap the guts. Then program the new module to your car using this procedure:

Programming Toyota Keyless Remote Transmitters

Make sure the key you get from Ebay has the same FCC ID code on the back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you can replace just the little transmitter module with the switches on it. Get a used key off Ebay and swap the guts. Then program the new module to your car using this procedure:

In other words, the entire green piece that lifts out is the transmitter module (depicted in pictures 3 & 4) & I can take from my key, discard, and replace with an identical one from an eBay key? Or do I have to take that green piece apart, solder, etc?

Do I find the fcc Id on the green piece ? Don't see it on outside of key

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the same problem in that my lock button doesn't work anymore. As it turned out, the actual lock switch on the green PCB was cracked in half. I tried to use a small amount of epoxy to hold the two halves in place, and it worked for a bit, but it failed again. So I've been just manually locking the doors. Eventually, I'll get a another key.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
In other words, the entire green piece that lifts out is the transmitter module (depicted in pictures 3 & 4) & I can take from my key, discard, and replace with an identical one from an eBay key? Or do I have to take that green piece apart, solder, etc?

Yes, but don't throw it away just yet. The FCC-ID: HYQ12BBY is the old generation rfid/immobilizer system (before 2010). The new system is HYQ12BDC. The FCC ID is on a sticker on the back of the key. If the sticker is missing, do you have the second key to look at? In any event, a 2009 should use HYQ12BBY. Do a search for that code on Ebay. All you need is a used key that has a good module. Here's one from a Camry--it has a trunk button but will work just fine:

Toyota Keyless Entry Remote FCC HYQ12BBY 4B Trunk 12BBY | eBay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yes, but don't throw it away just yet. The FCC-ID: HYQ12BBY is the old generation rfid/immobilizer system (before 2010). The new system is HYQ12BDC. The FCC ID is on a sticker on the back of the key. If the sticker is missing, do you have the second key to look at? In any event, a 2009 should use HYQ12BBY. Do a search for that code on Ebay. All you need is a used key that has a good module. Here's one from a Camry--it has a trunk button but will work just fine:

Toyota Keyless Entry Remote FCC HYQ12BBY 4B Trunk 12BBY | eBay
Thank you! The sticker is missing. I wonder if the dealer removed it on purpose or it fell off... Hmm...either way thank you for the help and the link. You have saved me a lot of money and I'm very grateful for the help!

·
Registered
768 Posts
JuneBug said:

I read your Sticky post about programming a key through TechStream. However, by this method you're referring to, it's just swapping the guts out of the donor key into the original shell without having to pry the immobilizer out. This way, the original key will still manually work with the door and ignition, but the transmitter module needs to be programmed with the vehicle for lock, unlock, and panic functions. Does this sound right?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
I read your Sticky post about programming a key through TechStream. However, by this method you're referring to, it's just swapping the guts out of the donor key into the original shell without having to pry the immobilizer out. This way, the original key will still manually work with the door and ignition, but the transmitter module needs to be programmed with the vehicle for lock, unlock, and panic functions. Does this sound right?
Yep, you got it!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks James! Another question, I saw used keys on eBay with the HYQ12BBY code, but the engraving on the key is a 'G' instead of a 'dot', this wouldn't matter to the guts since I would still be using the original immobilizer, correct?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Got my 2007 base 4WD 2.4L in April and bought 2 of these

Discount Keyless Replacement 3 Button Automotive Keyless Entry Remote Control Transmitter Key Combo Compatible with Toyota Vehicles HYQ12BBY
by Discount Keyless
Link: http://amzn.com/B00L6XZU0A

from Amazon
Home Depot would not cut them for me
Had to listen to the dealer whine about inferior Chinese products, the lack of a transponder, and extol the virtues of his $125 keys. But in the end he cut them and found my car did not have an immobilizer after all so the lack of a transponder wasn't really a thing. He continued his rant and in the end charged me $25 each to cut and program the keys to my vehicle.

Tried to explain basic economics to him, gave up when he displayed his fanatic belief in the righteousness of his cause.

$20 bucks for the key + $25 bucks for the cut and program is still less than the dealer key.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Thanks James! Another question, I saw used keys on eBay with the HYQ12BBY code, but the engraving on the key is a 'G' instead of a 'dot', this wouldn't matter to the guts since I would still be using the original immobilizer, correct?
Yes, that is correct. The FCC ID refers to the keyless transmitter module, the dot, or G, or H refers to the immobilizer chip.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
I do NOT recommend going to Home Depot, Wal-Mart, or your local hardware store to get these keys cut. Find a good locksmith shop, and let them do it. The one near me cut my flip keys perfectly and charged less than 5 bucks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the pdf you sent me to reprogram, for my purposes, should I be using add, rewrite, confirmation, or prohibition mode?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

In the pdf you sent me to reprogram, for my purposes, should I be using add, rewrite, confirmation, or prohibition mode?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Use the ADD mode, it should work fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great. Thank you for the very fast response! I'm about to try it right now. I'll send an update reply when done.
JuneBug,

Thank you so much for the help! I was just able to reprogram my key, and I'm back to the 21st century, I can now unlock and lock my car with the buttons once again :D.

If I wanted to buy a new blank key with the same ccc id and have that key cut, could I do the same procedure, using the add function, and have a spare key?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
If I wanted to buy a new blank key with the same ccc id and have that key cut, could I do the same procedure, using the add function, and have a spare key?
You would need to make sure the new blank key has the immobilzer chip and have that chip programmed to the car using either Techstream or a good locksmith. Without the immobilizer chip programmed, the key will fit and turn but the engine won't start.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts