Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my wife has a 2010 limited with the push start/key fob. This weekend the car oddly didnt sense my presence as I got near it, so I assumed the battery might be dying. Two days later the car wouldn't recognize the fob.

I bought a few spare cr1632 batteries and was more surprised to find the battery did not fix the fob issues. Thankfully I was able to put a new battery in our spare fob and that worked great, but now I'm stuck with an apparent dead fob.

The broken fob wasn't dropped in liquid or anything like that. I even put the battery I know works into the bad fob and it still didn't work. I couldnt see any apparent corrosion or lose soldered joints on the circuitry...is there anything else basic that I might be missing? I'd like to have a spare fob for emergencies so I'm trying to see if I can save this one before buying a new back up.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, bizarrely I have the same problem, with the exact same vehicle, a 2010 RAV4 Limited... and the same name as the OP. o_O Cue the Twilight Zone theme.

I posted about the odd experiences I'm having here, but I'm beginning to think that it's a bad key fob. So I'm bumping this thread to see if I can get some advice from the experts about next steps... fixing the fob if there's such a thing or the best options for replacing it.

@RPC207 - Rich... if you're listening, what did you eventually do?

TIA!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
If you need a new fob program it with Techstream. The (Techstream) software is free but you need to buy the mini vci cable that hooks up to the OBD2 port and your laptop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you need a new fob program it with Techstream. The (Techstream) software is free but you need to buy the mini vci cable that hooks up to the OBD2 port and your laptop.

Just finished watching the Techstream DIY video. Should work fine, just need to find a fob now.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Just finished watching the Techstream DIY video. Should work fine, just need to find a fob now.
EBay.

MAKE SURE it has the RIGHT CIRCUIT BOARD.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well, bizarrely I have the same problem, with the exact same vehicle, a 2010 RAV4 Limited... and the same name as the OP. o_O Cue the Twilight Zone theme.

I posted about the odd experiences I'm having here, but I'm beginning to think that it's a bad key fob. So I'm bumping this thread to see if I can get some advice from the experts about next steps... fixing the fob if there's such a thing or the best options for replacing it.

@RPC207 - Rich... if you're listening, what did you eventually do?

TIA!

Here's an example of the Techstream mini vci cable

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks DL175 and @2011rav4 for the excellent advice and links! (y)

After the great advice here and on the other thread I started, it seems more than likely that I have a bad key fob.

That said and before spending money on a new fob, the OBD2 connector, etc., I thought I'd do a closer inspection to see if there's anything unusual looking... particularly corrosion since we live at the coast.

I couldn't find any corrosion points on the circuit board (although some of it's hidden) but did find it on the edges. The wife's fob looks about the same. I don't know if the corrosion has crept into the middle of the board or not... at least enough to cause some issues. It seems superficial, but it's really hard to tell.

I cleaned the battery terminal and the board a little, put it back together and it seems to be functioning normally. So only time will tell. I'll be sure to report back either way.

Thank you for the excellent feedback and advice! Of course, any other ideas would be appreciated.

IMG_8641.jpeg IMG_8636.jpeg IMG_8644.jpeg IMG_8640 2.jpeg IMG_8643.jpeg

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good to hear you fixed your problem. If you plan on keeping your Rav4 then it's a good idea to still get Techstream . Best $20 I've spent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good to hear you fixed your problem. If you plan on keeping your Rav4 then it's a good idea to still get Techstream . Best $20 I've spent.
Not sure that it's "fixed". I'll post back if/when it acts up again or if it doesn't. Might be tomorrow... might be a month or so, but I promise! ;)

Good idea about the Techstream software and the OBDII adapter... seems like it might come in handy in a number of cases. (y)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Techstream install window 10.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have your cell phone in your pocket with the fob? The cell phone signal interferes with the fob signals if you pressed it inside your pocket.
Interesting thought. I keep my cell phone in my left pocket and my fob in my right pocket. I've had the same phone for about three years now. (Probably time to upgrade.) Plus I've always had my phone and fob in those pockets since it was brand new with no problems until a few months ago.

Trying to think if anything else has changed in that respect and I can't think of anything. ?

Good to know though! (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts