Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forums, and just purchased a 2007 Rav4 V6 Limited. Hoping for great things from this vehicle! (Still not sure if I should call it a car or a truck)

Car only came with one key/remote and it's rather beat up so I'd like to purchase two new and program them. Internet searches have shown quite a variety of processes for programming the remote doors, but nothing I can find showing details on programming them to the immobilizer. I'd rather not pay the dealer if I can do it myself. I read about techstream, but can't find what I need to make that work either.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect, I've scoured the thread and have decided to get the techstream program. Google search reveals either it comes from Toyota for $1500 or I click on links that apparently are full of spam.
I'm reading of folks getting it for $20 or so. Can you point me in the right direction to purchase a valid virus free Techstream?

Edit: I'm always looking for the latest versions. Is there a version that works yet with Windows 10? I think I've upgraded all mine!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Perfect, I've scoured the thread and have decided to get the techstream program. Google search reveals either it comes from Toyota for $1500 or I click on links that apparently are full of spam.
I'm reading of folks getting it for $20 or so. Can you point me in the right direction to purchase a valid virus free Techstream?

Edit: I'm always looking for the latest versions. Is there a version that works yet with Windows 10? I think I've upgraded all mine!
From Ebay:

Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable Scanner for Toyota Lexus TIS Techstream V10.30.29

From Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Diagnostic-Scanner-Interface-Toyota/dp/B00W97K7O6

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I meant the software not the cable. I'm needing to find a link for the software.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
You don't really need the latest software to program the fob. The drivers for Techstream uses a 32 bit version of any Window operating systems such as XP and Windows 7. You need to research how to make Techstream work with Windows 10. Most find it easier to run on a 32 bit Windows O/S which is plug and play since the driver for the vci mini cable will work without doing anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just need to find a working, virus free, version of the techstream program that doesn't cost $1500. I've found a few download links but my virus software has gone nuts.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Please let me know what you find regarding the virus free software for Windows 10.
I have the cable but stopped using TechStream because of the potential risk of using it on my personal PC.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I just need to find a working, virus free, version of the techstream program that doesn't cost $1500. I've found a few download links but my virus software has gone nuts.
I would suggest you just get a old Laptop or Netbook running windows xp or 7 ( you can find one on ebay) and just install Techstream on it then you wont have to worry about any software Viruses. I personally use a lenovo netbook with windows 7 on it and only use it for my Techstream. Its a little slow but works fine .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL,
Folks, I know where to get the cable, I know it runs best on W7 or below on an older laptop. I still DON'T know where to obtain the software!
So many here use it, I'm just asking where did you get the software.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
LOL,
Folks, I know where to get the cable, I know it runs best on W7 or below on an older laptop. I still DON'T know where to obtain the software!
So many here use it, I'm just asking where did you get the software.
The seller usually includes a disc (Techstream) with the mini vci cable on Ebay. I know since I got Techstream with my cable and so have many others. But there may still be links on this forum for Techstream just do a search if you want a newer version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The seller usually includes a disc (Techstream) with the mini vci cable on Ebay. I know since I got Techstream with my cable and so have many others. But there may still be links on this forum for Techstream just do a search if you want a newer version.
Finally! Now I get it, sorry for the confusion. I didn't realize the software came with the cable. I thought it had to be downloaded seperatly! Cable ordered!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after a lot of cursing and swearing I was successfull!

I programmed two keys found here,
Using the software and cable found here,
Then backing off to version 8 of techstream using the instructions found here, (Complements to Rick Rickoff for the write-up and making it available)

Here are a few pointers.
  1. I made this work using the directions on a Windows 10 laptop running 32bit software but according to the write-up it can also run on 64bit versions.
  2. The directions given don't match my Windows 10 exactly. So a little computer knowledge is helpful.
  3. The download DID throw a warning on my virus scan. I was on a computer not connected to anything on my personal network so I choose to ignore it and install. Could have been a false flag for all I know, but beware.
  4. Using these instructions I may later work at seeing if I can get version 10 working or maybe even 12, but for now it programmed my keys and I'm Happy!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Congratulations! Yes, that driver install will give a false alarm to virus scan software, which scares a lot of folks, but it's harmless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts