Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and found several posts on keys, but here is my question.. I just bought an 06 Rav4 (excellent price) with only a Valet Key (no numbers either). I went to locksmith today who attempted to code a key and then said, they shouldn't have messed with the attempt on a valet key, they said bring it back tomorrow, and they will get a hold of Toyota tomorrow and see about setting up master key. When I went in, my security light was off no problems, when I left with the valet key the security light is flashing... is the car safe to drive? Or will it leave me stranded somewhere if I shut it off? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Love the little Rav, and new to the forum!
Thanks in advance... jp

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got my RAV this month so I'm not sure I can help very much, but I would ask around here about Techstream and if you can program a key with it. I have a similar issue only my security light has never come on. When bought my car the dealership didn't have a master key. They gave me a standard metal key, all metal, no chip, no nothing. I asked about getting a key and he said it would be upwards of $300. No thanks! I did read on the internet that I can buy a key for under $20 but depending on my car it may need to or not need to have a letter on the key and then it needs to be programmed. I would love to have it but it sounds a bit confusing and what if I buy the wrong key or it can't be programmed....Agghhhh! :egad: I hate the stealerships!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
The locksmith said that I may only get 2-3 starts before security overrides the ability to start it... that is my concern.
Do you have the 2006 Limited? I think in 2006 only the Limited had the immobilizer. It may have been an option on the Sport. Where is this security light, on the clock panel?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
I got my RAV this month so I'm not sure I can help very much, but I would ask around here about Techstream and if you can program a key with it. I have a similar issue only my security light has never come on. When bought my car the dealership didn't have a master key. They gave me a standard metal key, all metal, no chip, no nothing. I asked about getting a key and he said it would be upwards of $300. No thanks! I did read on the internet that I can buy a key for under $20 but depending on my car it may need to or not need to have a letter on the key and then it needs to be programmed. I would love to have it but it sounds a bit confusing and what if I buy the wrong key or it can't be programmed....Agghhhh! :egad: I hate the stealerships!
Lou, I don't think the 2006 Base was available with immobilizer, so your keys don't need chips, and that's why your security light never comes on--you don't have one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a limited with the security light on the dash just below the radio and clock.. I made it to work from the lock smith, but face a 30 mile drive home, my main concern is if there are a limited number of restarts then I will drive from work to the locksmith and drop it off for morning, if the car will still operate with the valet key, I will take it home and return in the morning.... I just didn't quite understand how the immobilizer worked. And it did get me from the locksmith to work, is there a limited number of times it will start with a security issue?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
I have a limited with the security light on the dash just below the radio and clock.. I made it to work from the lock smith, but face a 30 mile drive home, my main concern is if there are a limited number of restarts then I will drive from work to the locksmith and drop it off for morning, if the car will still operate with the valet key, I will take it home and return in the morning.... I just didn't quite understand how the immobilizer worked. And it did get me from the locksmith to work, is there a limited number of times it will start with a security issue?
The locksmith was wrong about the limited number of starts--the immobilizer in the RAV4 doesn't work that way. Before you get into the car, look at the security light. It should be flashing. Get in, put your key with a valid chip into the ignition, and the light should go out. Now the car will start. It will not start if the light is flashing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you sir! Appreciate your time and effort!! They did talk about having to do a flash of the ecm possibly for a new key, but thanks for the info!!! Makes my drive a little easier tonight! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, there's your problem! :D
Learning more about the RAV, exactly one of many reasons I joined the forum!
Good to know! Besides the immobilizer thing, so does that mean there is no factory key-fob thing for the base? Or there is, just no immobilizer? I'm soooo confused!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lou, I don't think the 2006 Base was available with immobilizer, so your keys don't need chips, and that's why your security light never comes on--you don't have one!
Thanks JuneBug. Learning more about the RAV, exactly one of many reasons I joined the forum!
Good to know! Besides the immobilizer thing, so does that mean there is no factory key-fob thing for the base? Or there is, just no immobilizer? I'm soooo confused!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
Thanks JuneBug. Learning more about the RAV, exactly one of many reasons I joined the forum!
Yes, Lou, your RAV came with remote keys with buttons to lock/unlock the doors--this is the keyless entry system. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the immobilizer system. And remember, your 2006 Base has no immobilizer.

You can go on Ebay and buy a couple of uncut keys with the remote. Make sure they are marked with the FCC ID of HYQ12BBY. It doesn't matter if they have immobilizer chips or not--doesn't matter if they have a dot or a letter stamped on the blade. You can take those keys to a good locksmith and have them cut to match the one key you have. Then program the remotes to unlock the doors. That's it!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The only problem I would have with your situation is that someone out there(prev owner no doubt, but perhaps unscrupulous dealer)has two remotes that will still unlock your car. That would have been a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a follow-up on this post... I returned the Rav4 to the locksmith the following morning (Burgess Locksmith, Salina, KS). They were able to get the Master Key programmed and operational, which I will now protect with my life! :) All for the sum of $50.00 not including tax, which beats the heck out of the quote the Toyota dealership gave me!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
The only problem I would have with your situation is that someone out there(prev owner no doubt, but perhaps unscrupulous dealer)has two remotes that will still unlock your car. That would have been a deal breaker for me.
If and when he gets the new remotes, he can delete all the old ones and only program in the new ones.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,319 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.