Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2006 Rav4 Base, and it only came with one key. I want to add a second full key (not just the shell, but the transmitter, too).

I've read-up on the forums about the difference between the dot and G keys, but mine is neither. So what key do I order? I know that it's NOT HYQ12BDC or HYQ12BBY, but those are the only ones I seem to find. What's the FCC ID for the "no dot and no G" key?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i think if you get the "dot" key you will be fine...having the transponder in the key will have zero impact on your car since you dont need a transponder to start yours...as long as the key is the same shape as yours it should work...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
Awesome. Key ordered. Thanks for the help.
I hope you ordered the HYQ12BBY type. That's the FCC ID for the remote, so it's the only one that will work with your keyless entry system.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the "dot" key was used until 2010 i think so that should be the key you have...in 2011 (i think) they went to the "g" key...so with a 2008 im pretty sure "dot" is what you would need...having a limited you would also want a key that comes with a transponder...

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
I hope you ordered the HYQ12BBY type. That's the FCC ID for the remote, so it's the only one that will work with your keyless entry system.
that is the "dot" i do believe...
NO, the "dot" or "G" or "H" has NOTHING to do with the keyless remote. They refer to the type of immobilizer chip installed in the key. Since goatboy has a 2006, and only the Limited had the immobilizer that year, it doesn't apply to him. The HYQ12BBY FCC ID is for the remote keyless transmitter in the key. That is the one used in the 2006-2009 models.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
NO, the "dot" or "G" or "H" has NOTHING to do with the keyless remote. They refer to the type of immobilizer chip installed in the key. Since goatboy has a 2006, and only the Limited had the immobilizer that year, it doesn't apply to him. The HYQ12BBY FCC ID is for the remote keyless transmitter in the key. That is the one used in the 2006-2009 models.
well i did a little digging and found that 2006-2010ish use the "dot" and 2010ish-2012 use the "g"...while you are correct that the "dot" or "g" pertain only to the transponder part i thought that the 2006-2010 "dot" key would be fine for him since it used the HYQ12BDC frequency to transmit the keyless entry...however by reading it seams that the 2010ish-2012 "g" key frequency HYQ12BDC will also control the keyless entry to 2006-2010ish rav4s...so that leaves me to think that the op can use either HYQ12BDC or HYQ12BDC to operate his keyless entry and since the 2006 base does not have a transponder chip the "dot" or "g" would not matter at all...i had only suggested the "dot" key cause i knew that the keyless frequency worked for his year rav4 since it is highly unlikely that toyota used a different frequency for limiteds and base models that year...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The HYQ12BBY FCC ID is for the remote keyless transmitter in the key. That is the one used in the 2006-2009 models.
however by reading it seams that the 2010ish-2012 "g" key frequency HYQ12BDC will also control the keyless entry to 2006-2010ish rav4s..
These two links might prove helpful. They show that both HYQ12BBY and HYQ12BDC operate at the same frequency. However that does not confirm they are interchangeable because the method of data coding could be different. If you click on "External Photos" you will see an image of each model. My personal thoughts are that they are interchangeable, and the "BDC" is just a more modern design.

It looks like the HYQ12BBY received approval around October 2004, and the HYQ12BDC was approved around September 2007.

HYQ12BBY
HYQ12BDC

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It seems that the images in the FCC database do not match my own key. I'm not sure if they just mixed up the images, or dies their database have even more problems.

Here is an image of my own key, and you can read that it is a 12BBY on the label.

This is also the same image and FCC number shown on this Ebay key.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
Yeah, rav4system, you are on the right track BUT, there was some overlap in the systems. I bought a used key off Ebay just for the immobilizer chip. That key has a dot, but an FCC ID of HYQ12BD, which means it's the newer transmitter and is not compatible with my dot keys that have the HYQ12BBY ID. But the chip works fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Now let me throw in something else here. I just pick up an aftermarket remote ( flip key type ) that comes with all the guts. The remote control transmitter as well as the immobilizer chip all in. Mine is the 2006 Sport and the key has a Dot on it. The FCC-ID is HYQ12BBY. Got everything and had the key cut. The programming via Techstream was painless. There is only one problem that I found out. It may have the basic function of locking and unlocking the doors. It even start the car fine. But the extended function of operating the OEM remote starter do not work no matter what I do. The Toyota OEM RES required the sequence of 'LOCK'-'LOCK'-'LOCK (hold for 3 sec)'. The wireless keyless CPU will not accept the press and hold data stream.

So if anyone of you that had an OEM remote starter system installed by Toyota, then you may want to keep the old remote control module.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered the 12BBY key. I'll report back with the results. If I'm reading everything correctly, I should be able to get it cut at Home Depot and do the in-car programming sequence to get it working. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got a 2006 Rav4 Base, and it only came with one key. I want to add a second full key (not just the shell, but the transmitter, too).

I've read-up on the forums about the difference between the dot and G keys, but mine is neither. So what key do I order? I know that it's NOT HYQ12BDC or HYQ12BBY, but those are the only ones I seem to find. What's the FCC ID for the "no dot and no G" key?

Thanks for the help.
If it's none of HYQ's try FCC ID: MOZB41TG one. hope it's work for you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts