Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum! I just replaced my Mazda 323f '95 with a Rav4 sol 2.0 4wd from 2001. So far, so good!

There are a few things that I want to do, like replace the radio head unit and remove the fancy nokia 3210 carkit..

Unfortunately it only came with a valet and a broken (glued together) regular key. I was hoping the inner unit of that key would still be fine, so I replaced the fob with 1 from ebay. Also bought a new battery obviously. Unfortunately it still doesn't work, tried reprogramming it but the system doesn't accept the key. I guess the transmitter is broken.

So what I want to do is buy 2 433 mhz 2-button transmitters and 1 new transponder chip, but I am completely lost in which exact item I should buy. I read many pages here but still can't find it. I found this page: http://www.wenmar.nl/transponders/544-toyota-transponder-id4d-68-carbon.html which says I should get the "Transponder TEXAS 4C ( JMA TP07 , TPX1 )", but the shop who sells them shows me a flat piece, while I think this one is more like the tube version.

Can you help me out with the part numbers for the transponder and transmitter (European / Dutch model) ?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It is tricky buying a FOB key off the internet especially with a European model. Frequency on the FOB key may vary for different countries so it is best to buy locally and have a locksmith program it. A good locksmith that specialize in doing this type of work should be able to do the job properly. You can also try the dealer but of course that is a more expensive route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked the dealer, he charges about 150 euro per key. I found 1 store that can also supply me with a transmitter, he charges around 120,-. I'm looking for 2 keys so I am not thrilled to pay around 250,-. Anyway, I just found a Dutch store that sells these transmitters and mailed them my questions. Hopefully they can set me up!

Btw, is there any disadvantage on using the valet-key, besides not being able to (un)lock the glove department? The salesman at the dealer a some weird story about crashing the computer system by using it too much. It seemed like he had no clue what he was talking about tbh.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Btw, is there any disadvantage on using the valet-key, besides not being able to (un)lock the glove department? The salesman at the dealer a some weird story about crashing the computer system by using it too much. It seemed like he had no clue what he was talking about tbh.
Yeah, the other thing about the valet key was that a master key could not be made from it. It may be possible to clone it and make another valet key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the meanwhile I got the remotes working, ordered them from a Dutch online store for €37.50 each. Probably a bit more than from eBay, but much cheaper than the dealer. Just need to add the transponder as well, unfortunately the version with removing the key a few times and opening the door as well didn't work for me. Hopefully I can get it to work with the Techstream.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts