Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello Everyone, I've had my 2013 Rav4 for about 3 years now and they gave me only one set of keys, But see I want a duplicate key just to give a couple of people in case I lose mine. Above is what my keyfob looks like, I was wondering could I go to a key place and they make a copy of that key and I can give that to people?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2017 Rav4 which uses a key like yours (pictured) - FYI if you want to save a couple of bucks you can get a key without the buttons that will still open your doors and start your car. That's what I did, I don't remember the details but a locksmith did cut and program it. You really have a couple of options - you can buy the blank uncut (with or without buttons) key from ebay (just be careful) - programming instructions are on the internet - but you will still need to have it cut by a locksmith or you can go directly to a local locksmith who will sell you the blank key, cut, and then program it.

OR - Batteries Plus Bulbs (if you have local stores) can make it for you. We bought a 2018 Rav4 with push button start and Batteries Plus Bulbs was able to furnish and program a new fob, including cutting the emergency key, for us. You might check them out.

Best of luck

Bill

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just a little background of what is inside the key.Toyota could have changed things but on my 2006 Scion, there was a RFID or something like it chip inside the key. This chip looked like a grain of rice. If this chip was not there the car would not start.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Do it yourself and save a lot of money.. Here's a good thread but if you search here you will find many more. If you have any questions just ask.

Techstream

You can buy the keys on eBay.

Does your key have a Dot or a G stamped on the blade?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to step up here and say thank you to everyone who has replied and help. It has been much appreciated so thank you everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts