Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a second Key for my vehicle and am looking at the various options. The most cost effective is buying a Blank off eBay and doing the procedure which requires inserting keys and opening and closing the door.
Just for interest , what am I to expect as far as success with getting a working Key using this process.
Would I save myself a lot of frustration getting it done professionally or is self programming a viable option ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Vanscott, I have a similar question. Which I'd like to put to all.

In my case, I've been looking after a friend's RAV 4 whilst this friend was on holiday. She bought the RAV 4 second-hand. There was a single key, which I've gone and misplaced.

The key had inbuilt electronics, I don't know the technical term, without which the RAV 4 doesn't start. I know this because previously, the electronics had fallen out of the key, and the car wouldn't start without reinserting them.

We've since recovered two spare keys from the previous owner, but neither of the two spare keys have the electronic parts, obviously fallen out at some stage.

I've tried to start the RAV 4 with one of these spare keys. The engine turns over, but the car doesn't start. A locksmith has suggested not to keep trying this, because the car is programmed to assume attempted theft, and will go into lockdown mode.

For a replacement key, I've obtained one quote from a Toyota-referred locksmith, AUD 550 for 2 keys. A single key can't be bought.

Another quote from Replacement Car Keys - replacementcarkeys.com.au of AUD 280.

Both extortionate, hence a search of the internet for options.

I came across this document - PROGRAMMING OEM WIRELESS DOOR LOCK REMOTE TRANSMITTERS - rav4world.com/tsb/2007/EL009-07.pdf. Can anybody tell me whether this is a current and valid document for ignition keys? Or is it only for door locking mechanisms? Is there a similar document for ignition keys?

Any suggestions as to avoiding having to AUD 280 most welcome. I can ill afford it.

(This forum wouldn't allow me to do hyperlinks because it's my first post??)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
Steven, there are 2 separate non-related electronic systems in the key. The first one is the remote that allows you to lock and unlock the doors by pushing a button. The second one is the immobiliser chip, a tiny RFID chip about the size of 2 grains of rice. If I open up my key and dump out "the electronics" as you say, the key will still start my RAV because the immobiliser chip is glued into the key housing. You can tell the key is recognized because the "Security" light will stop flashing. If the light is flashing, the ignition and fuel pump are disabled, and the engine won't start. A regular key without the remote will also have an immobiliser chip embedded in the plastic head of the key and should start the engine, if it's programmed to the vehicle.

Edit: Sorry I should have checked before but now I see you are referring to a 2004 model. The information I posted is for the 2006 onward, but may still apply to the earlier models. But then again, the Aussie model may be different altogether.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks JuneBug.

I think your info still applies. I've since found out that the self programming option, ie. closing doors and winding up windows whatever, isn't applicable, and so it seems the only option is to fork out for a replacement key.

I've found somebody who'll provide a key for AUD 220. Two keys for AUD 270. Insane. I'm moving country.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
Well, it's an expensive lesson to learn. You just can't be careless with today's car keys. They are not cheap to replace.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Just curious, my 4.2 in the United States doesn't have a chip in the key. Is this for international models only?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
Just curious, my 4.2 in the United States doesn't have a chip in the key. Is this for international models only?
Is your '03 the L version? In 2006 only the Limited had the immobilizer chip.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thanks JuneBug.

I think your info still applies. I've since found out that the self programming option, ie. closing doors and winding up windows whatever, isn't applicable, and so it seems the only option is to fork out for a replacement key.

I've found somebody who'll provide a key for AUD 220. Two keys for AUD 270. Insane. I'm moving country.

If you want to find out if you have a chip in your key put the HEAD of the good key near the ignition cylinder while turning the other key in the ignition. The ignition should read the chip from the good key and start the car

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2002 RAV4L and it does not have the immobilizer key. As I understand it the immobilizer key has a small round hole for the key ring. My key without the immobilizer has a wide slot for the the key ring. Not sure how it was determined which cars would get immobilizers and which wouldn't.

-Stew

·
Registered
807 Posts
Is your '03 the L version? In 2006 only the Limited had the immobilizer chip.

Nope, just a base model. But it had odd factory options like roof rack, running boards and carbon fiber accents on interior panels. (odd, I've never seen another with carbon fiber lol)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hey Vanscott, I have a similar question. Which I'd like to put to all.

In my case, I've been looking after a friend's RAV 4 whilst this friend was on holiday. She bought the RAV 4 second-hand. There was a single key, which I've gone and misplaced.

The key had inbuilt electronics, I don't know the technical term, without which the RAV 4 doesn't start. I know this because previously, the electronics had fallen out of the key, and the car wouldn't start without reinserting them.

We've since recovered two spare keys from the previous owner, but neither of the two spare keys have the electronic parts, obviously fallen out at some stage.

I've tried to start the RAV 4 with one of these spare keys. The engine turns over, but the car doesn't start. A locksmith has suggested not to keep trying this, because the car is programmed to assume attempted theft, and will go into lockdown mode.

For a replacement key, I've obtained one quote from a Toyota-referred locksmith, AUD 550 for 2 keys. A single key can't be bought.

Another quote from Replacement Car Keys - replacementcarkeys.com.au of AUD 280.

Both extortionate, hence a search of the internet for options.

I came across this document - PROGRAMMING OEM WIRELESS DOOR LOCK REMOTE TRANSMITTERS - rav4world.com/tsb/2007/EL009-07.pdf. Can anybody tell me whether this is a current and valid document for ignition keys? Or is it only for door locking mechanisms? Is there a similar document for ignition keys?

Any suggestions as to avoiding having to AUD 280 most welcome. I can ill afford it.

(This forum wouldn't allow me to do hyperlinks because it's my first post??)
How to program a transponder key in a 2003-2006 Toyota 4runner. Maybe this will work on the RAV4

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am pretty sure if that if you get keys made up for you, you will need the dealer or a locksmith to pair up the keys to the car. I believe that cannot be done remotely. So you might be stuck paying someone local.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my 2002 RAV4 the immobilizer is in the "electronic part". The keys tend to break in the plastic and I've bought several "blank" keys from eBay and moved the "electronic part" to the new key and had it filed at a locksmith.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts