Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family has a 2006 RAV4. We have 4 keys and decided to replace a worn down key. I bought a Toyota key programmer from Amazon (amazon.ca/HaoYiShang-Smart-Keymaker-Programmer-TOYOTA/dp/B06XPBCTTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511824810&sr=8-1&keywords=toyota+key+programmer[/url]). I successfully programmed a new key from an existing functioning key. The problem is the other 3 keys no longer work and the amazon key maker is not working properly now. Bottom line:

3 Keys that used to work no longer work
1 key that used to work still works
1 new key works

Any suggestions? Can I try to reprogram the transponder (4D67)?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
You need to reprogram all 4 keys during the same programming session.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried programming them all at one, now the 2 keys that didn't work now work but 2 keys that used to work no longer work. Time to take a break and start fresh tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

I can successfully enter the programming mode (Security light is solid red). I can successfully program any 2 keys once in the mode. After that however, I am unable to program any further keys.

If I exit the key programming mode and re-enter key programming mode (Security light is solid red), I lose all the previous key connections.

Anyone have any advice on how to get more than 2 keys programmed?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
I'm not familiar with your programmer, but here's how it works with Techstream:

Go to System Selection and click on Immobiliser. The "Immobiliser Live" tab will appear. From there click on "Utility" and "Key Registration":

A key registration wizard will pop up and ask to turn the ignition off, then back on and click next. Then it asks to turn it back off, remove the master key, insert the new key (but don't turn it!) and click next. At this point the "Security" light starts flashing, as a timer on the screen counts down from about 90 seconds while the ECU learns the new key code. Once the counter gets down to zero, it says "Programming Complete" and shows a "Next" and "Exit" button as before. Click next to program the next key. When finished, click Exit. You should then be able to test each key and they should all start the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got techstream to work and programmed all my keys.

Lessons learned:

-The cheap amazon OBD2 key programmer tool is garbage.
-Setting up Techstream on a 64 bit computer is a massive headache.
-Good old Windows 32bit XP never lets me down

Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts