Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI MATES

MY 2008 RAV4'S HANDLE(UNLOCK) AND LOCK BUTTON ON IT SUDDENLY IS NOT AS SENSITIVE AS BEFORE, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S RAINING OR THE HANDLE IS WET.

I HAVE TO TRY SEVERAL TIMES TO UNLOCK IT OR WAIT FOR A FEW SECONDS AFTER PRESSING THE LOCK BUTTON.

IT USED TO GET UNLOCKED OR LUCKED INSTANTLY.:crying

I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM OF LOW BATTERY AND GOT IT REPLACED, BUT IT TRUNS OUT IT IS NOT AND REMOTE CONTROL IS FINE.

ANY IDEAS WHAT'S GOING WRONG AND HOW IT GET IT FIXED?

APPRECIATE ALL SUGGESTIONS.:kiss

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Welcome to RAV4World, Revitish! Please turn off your caps lock for future posts. I assume you have the smart key with push button start? We didn't get that here on the RAV4 until 2009. There is a proximity sensor in both front doors, and the rear cargo door. Are you having the same sensitivity problem with all of those, or just the driver's door? If the latter, then the proximity sensor in the driver's door has gotten weak, and likely needs replacing. If the problem is on all doors, then it would be a problem with the fob. Do you have the same problem with the other fob?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to RAV4World, Revitish! Please turn off your caps lock for future posts. I assume you have the smart key with push button start? We didn't get that here on the RAV4 until 2009. There is a proximity sensor in both front doors, and the rear cargo door. Are you having the same sensitivity problem with all of those, or just the driver's door? If the latter, then the proximity sensor in the driver's door has gotten weak, and likely needs replacing. If the problem is on all doors, then it would be a problem with the fob. Do you have the same problem with the other fob?
Thank you JuneBug for reminding.

Yes. She was originally sold in Japan and has a push button start.

The problem occurs on all three doors with sensors. I have tried both of the fobs and confirm fob is fine.

Maybe something wrong with wiring? I don't know..

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
When pico referred to your battery, I think he meant the large 12 volt battery in the engine compartment. Is that the one you replaced?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Wait a minute, I just thought of something. Did you start parking your RAV in a new location when this problem started? I know that nearby RF transmissions can interfere with the signals to/from the fob and the car. Is there a cell tower or radio tower nearby?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
You don't have a spare fob somewhere in the vehicle, do you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't change my parking position lately. But I did replaced the aftermarket radio unit installed by the Japanese owner with a android one cause the old one could only receive one radio station in New Zealand. I couldn't find the wire for one of the harness but the dealer said it's OK. Please refer to the attachment. Thank you.

Attachments

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
You might try disconnecting power to the new head unit and see if the problem goes away. Some of those units from Asia aren't shielded very well. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might try disconnecting power to the new head unit and see if the problem goes away. Some of those units from Asia aren't shielded very well. Worth a shot.
I've tried to disconnected the new unit as you suggested and sadly nothing changed. But I found 1 harness left unconnected(attached). Any idea which part should it be plugged into? This might one the problem? Thank you!

Attachments

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
That harness plug has nothing to do with the radio head unit. Where did you find it?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Just behind the head unit.
Was it actually plugged into the original Japanese head unit? If not, it may be a plug for some option you didn't get.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Was it actually plugged into the original Japanese head unit? If not, it may be a plug for some option you didn't get.
What option could that be? Navigation? GPS transponder?
Unfair question, I know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was wired to but not plugged into that Japanese head unit.

My friend just got his RAV4 shipped from Japan and I will get that head unit off and find out..>:D>:D

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
What option could that be? Navigation? GPS transponder?
Unfair question, I know.
Seat heater, Auto LSD, windshield de-icer, Trac off, etc.
Who knows what options a Japanese RAV4 has?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED after the removal of an aftermarket OBD smart-lock unit.
So, you had one of those modules that plugs into the OBD port for locking the doors when you reach a certain speed? I've had one of those for years, without a problem. But I have regular key start.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts