Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting something like this: advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html (unable to post full link due to low post count)

Aftermarket fob that apparently disengages all locks on the vehicle on approach and adds a push button start/stop. I assume it is installed over the original ignition based on the pictures.

Anyone have feedback on it? Looks to be the system I wanted that Toyota couldn't do. My wife has a 2016 Durango with all this minus the proximity detection. You have to touch the handle for it to unlock but this unlocks on approach.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
They can be more complicated than that and probably not as "clean" as you'd want. For one, you usually need to sacrifice a key for the transponder chip to bypass the immobilizer. Then you leave your key cylinder in the run position at all times, cap it off and the module will control starting etc. Either that or also install a immobilizer bypass module which adds another complexity and expense.
I've installed one from Digital Guard Dawg - Keyless Ignition & Push Button Start from Digital Guard Dawg. Both the push button start and proximity door lock on a clients vehicle who has a disability. Probably the exact same module as the one you are looking at, but not sure. I'm an electronics tech for an assistive technology group and modify power chairs, tv remotes, general electronics, cars etc. for quadriplegics and higher level disability patients.
The install wasn't without its challenges. You would have to have a pretty good understanding of electronics and not be scared of cutting and splicing your ignition wiring/door lock wiring etc. if you even want to consider this. Plus you will need detailed schematics of your vehicles wiring. Digital guard dawg tells you it is super easy and anyone can do it(of course, they're trying to sell them) but as someone with experience and training in electronics, I wouldn't want to do another one and certainly wouldn't chop up my own wiring in my new car to install one. A reputable automotive electronics shop would probably be a safe bet to install one pretty cleanly. Not that my install was sloppy or anything, there was just a steep learning curve to it with little support. Having said all that, the system has worked very well for several years now for the client.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh for sure. Been dealing with electronics for years. I would probably find a wiring diagram if I were to attempt it myself. I would probably be paying someone though :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts