Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2009 RAV4. 4 cyl. Auto (5) pass. 4WD I have a knock type rattle whenever I hit a small bump in the road. The rattle sounds like it is under the drivers seat.
I have been through the entire under carriage, suspension, exhaust trying to locate the rattle. I replaced the front struts and the rattle is exactly the same as before. I have examined the sway bar and links and every part imaginable trying to locate the demon.
My question is, have any of you experienced a rattle between the top of the fuel tank and body?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
This may sound simplistic, but could there be something under the driver's seat which is loose? I once left my emergency warning triangle loose under the seat and it occasionally caused a rattle-type noise until I finally found the source of the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rattle

Thank you for your suggestion. I have looked under the drivers seat and cannot find anything. It almost seems the rattle (that is very annoying) is
underneath the floor in the drivers seat area maybe between the top of the fuel tank and the floor.

·
Super Moderator
11,098 Posts
Almost sounds like about where the rear sway bay links are. I heard a loud POP while driving across my yard but since it never happened again I forgot about it. Then while at the dealer they mentioned that my rear link was broken so I replaced both of them. They had rusted thru enough under the rubber bushings to weaken enough to fail. Just thinking this might be your case too since they may not look broken. The exception is they never made any noise I remember.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts