Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a knocking sound when doing a full circle turn?
The knocking sound is on the opposite side of the turn.
ie: left full circle turn, sound is on the right front or rear wheel
right full circle turn, sound is on the left front or rear wheel

I noticed this yesterday making a uturn, going left.

I tried a few more times in a parking lot & duplicated it again.

Later, I drove it for about 40 minutes & tried it again in a parking lot, but did not hear it.
On my way home I tried a few more times & did hear it again.

I noticed a similar sound coming into my driveway.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Mine does it too, dunno what it is, it doesn't always do it, just enough that I know I've heard it before!! :?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input.

I will give the dealer a call next week & see what they have to say.

I have a feeling they are going to say it is normal, just like my front window rattle.

At least if I have it documented & there is a problem I have 3yrs 60k warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
I've done a number of U-turns and tight turns in both directions and don't recall any extraneous noises... I'll try a few more times and let you know if I experience anything out of the ordinary...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Are you continuing to apply force to the steering wheel after you hit the end stop?

If so that is not good and it could be the electric steering motor trying to move the mechanism against the stop.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BarnyFife said:
Are you continuing to apply force to the steering wheel after you hit the end stop?

If so that is not good and it could be the electric steering motor trying to move the mechanism against the stop.
I only turn the wheel while the vehile is moving.
I do not turn the steering wheel while the vehicle is stationary.
I am able to duplicate this sound on most tries by making a full circle turn.
I am not 100% sure but I think that I can dupicate the faint knock sound when the turn is more abrupt.

I have noticced this on occasion making a turn as well.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading page 155 of the owner's manual regarding Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control System.(4 wheel drive vehicles)

This could possibly be what I am hearing with respect to the knock sound.

Could it be the VSC system activating?

The manual says: "The vehicle stability control system helps provide integrated control of the such systems as the abs, brake assist, traction control, engine control, electric power steering, active torque control 4WD. This system automatically controls the brakes, engine & power steering as well as driving force to all the 4 wheels to help prevent the vehicle from skidding when cornering on slippery road surface or operating the steering wheel abruptly.

This system activates when the vehicle speed exceeds about 15km/h or 9 mph.

A sound may be heard from the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This means that the system is in the self-check mode. This sound does not indicate a malfunction."

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Spose it could, but why wouldn't it do it the same each time the engine is started or the vehicle begins to move? I've only heard mine do it twice that I can remember, but my hearing is old and worn out, could be I just don't hear it always. The first time I heard it, I was backing my boat into the garage, had the steering cranked all the way to the right, thought a tire was rubbing a mudguard, that's kinda what it sounded like!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quickdtoo said:
Spose it could, but why wouldn't it do it the same each time the engine is started or the vehicle begins to move? I've only heard mine do it twice that I can remember, but my hearing is old and worn out, could be I just don't hear it always. The first time I heard it, I was backing my boat into the garage, had the steering cranked all the way to the right, thought a tire was rubbing a mudguard, that's kinda what it sounded like!!
I think the manual is referring to several things with respect to the Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control System.

It provides integrated controls of abs, brake assist, traction control, engine control, electric power steering, active control 4WD.

Perhaps we are hearing this knock sound because the steering wheel is being operated abruptly as stated in the manual.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I noticed a knocking sound twice while backing out of my garage. I back out and swing the vehicle to the right. I come to a complete stop and then turn left and drive away forward. The sound occurs when I step on the gas and start to move forward and to the left. It's clearly coming from the back of the vehicle and sounds like the right rear wheel.

I'm not too mechanically inclined but it's almost like the differential is locked and it's behind in some way when you change directions. I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle and I could be completely off the mark but it's a guess.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kevvan said:
I noticed a knocking sound twice while backing out of my garage. I back out and swing the vehicle to the right. I come to a complete stop and then turn left and drive away forward. The sound occurs when I step on the gas and start to move forward and to the left. It's clearly coming from the back of the vehicle and sounds like the right rear wheel.

I'm not too mechanically inclined but it's almost like the differential is locked and it's behind in some way when you change directions. I've never owned a 4x4 vehicle and I could be completely off the mark but it's a guess.
Kevvan:
I think the knocking sound seems to be when the steering is turned abruptly either left or right as well as doing full circle turns.

Just wondering what type of sound that you are getting from the back of the vehicle?
Is it like a couple of pebbles hitting & then stops, or is this the same knocking sound that you are referring to?
Does it only do this when the vehicle is 1st started & just when you start to accelerate?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not the front. It's definately coming from the back. I think what you're referring to is when the steering reaches the end of the travel. That's not the sound I'm hearing. It's a solid thud that comes from the right rear wheel.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kevvan said:
It's not the front. It's definately coming from the back. I think what you're referring to is when the steering reaches the end of the travel. That's not the sound I'm hearing. It's a solid thud that comes from the right rear wheel.
Does this only happen when the vehicle is 1st started & you accelerate?

·
Registered
43 Posts
backtolife said:
kevvan said:
Does this only happen when the vehicle is 1st started & you accelerate?
It has only happened twice and under the condition that I described. I have not heard it again backing out of my garage.

I'm trying not to recreate the problem though. You know - that old adage, doctor it hurts when I do this... Doctor - Don't do that then. LOL

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
strut tower is where the top of the shock/spring assembly mounts. (mcpherson strut) There is a bearing up there too because the whole strut assembly turns with the wheels when you turn.. The strut tower is actually sheet metel thats a part of the body..

1 - 20 of 91 Posts