Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on pros or cons for those two options? Looks like Juicebox is in stock but Chargepoint is on back order with no indication as to when it will be back in stock. Given the popularity of Chargepoint in public areas (including my office parking lot), I’m inclined to just wait until they come back in stock so that I can use one account across home and non-home charging. But I don’t know if there are any other highs or lows between the two.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the $529 OpenEVSE unit. 14-50, 240V, 40A.
I love that I can monitor it via WiFi, set the max KWH charge, set the charge start/stop times, etc. I even pull it up sometimes when it's not charging, just to see the temperature in my garage.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime SE
24 Posts
I don't have a charger set up yet, I just have a wifi-enabled short outdoor extension cord, but I greatly appreciate being able to turn off power to the unit before unplugging, either by wifi or button. We don't have a garage either and it's nice not to be handling a live cord when unplugging in the rain. It's a feature I will look for when I do install a charger.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,058 Posts
Thoughts on pros or cons for those two options? Looks like Juicebox is in stock but Chargepoint is on back order with no indication as to when it will be back in stock. Given the popularity of Chargepoint in public areas (including my office parking lot), I’m inclined to just wait until they come back in stock so that I can use one account across home and non-home charging. But I don’t know if there are any other highs or lows between the two.
Been using the Juicebox 40A for my PriusPrime. Chose it partly because it has a couple more feet of cable and I liked the phone app.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a charger set up yet, I just have a wifi-enabled short outdoor extension cord, but I greatly appreciate being able to turn off power to the unit before unplugging, either by wifi or button. We don't have a garage either and it's nice not to be handling a live cord when unplugging in the rain. It's a feature I will look for when I do install a charger.
I was thinking the same thing…haven’t seen any “smart outlets” for a 50A plug. Wonder if they make “smart breaker”…

·
Registered
450 Posts
When you push the button to unlock the connector from the car, the power is shut off. Also, since my plug is outside, there is a GFI breaker in my main panel. I think it's pretty safe. They did think about safety when they designed this system.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would NOT be surprised if all EV chargers are to be “fused” w/ a GFCI even if mounted ”indoors” (ie garage), for the reason of safety.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would NOT be surprised if all EV chargers are to be “fused” w/ a GFCI even if mounted ”indoors” (ie garage), for the reason of safety.
I believe that is correct, but I could not find documentation of it, at least not in my quick search.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,058 Posts
My Juicebox is very sensitive to "dirty power" too. It will shut off charging if there are any voltage fluctuations, spikes, etc. Behaves very much like a battery UPS backup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts